Monday, December 15, 2008

Do You Have a Fire Extinguisher?

This time of year with space heaters, Christmas lights and candles, let’s think about buying at least one fire extinguisher, if you don’t have one already.

A few years ago, not long after we moved into this house, our pool pump caught fire. It’s outside but right beside our house. Flames were leaping up and I was scared. I quickly called the fire department and while I waited for them to arrive, I remembered the previous owner of the house had left a little fire extinguisher in the garage. I ran into the garage, grabbed the fire extinguisher and read the instructions on it as I ran back to the location of the burning pump. I aimed the extinguisher at the pump and let fly the contents. By the time the fire truck arrived I had the fire out. The firemen stayed a few minutes to see that the fire didn’t start up again. I felt kind of proud as they each gave me a high five for getting the fire out by myself.

From that day to this, we have had a fire extinguisher in our garage and one in our kitchen. We have another one in our master bath, because that is the most distant area of the house from the kitchen. And yes, I do check them often to see that their charge is still up to date.

I just felt this might be a good time to remind everyone that the cost of a fire extinguisher is money well spent.

18 Comments:

Blogger Distributorcap said...

i have 2 - one in the kitchen, and one in the bedroom. and definitely good advice....

December 15, 2008 2:42 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Agreed- we just got a new one!

December 15, 2008 4:06 AM  
Blogger Matthew Hubbard said...

Thanks for the reminder. I've lived in the new apartment since February, but I didn't know where the fire extinguisher was. I found the closest one just a few minutes ago, down the hallway and around the corner. One of those "In case of emergency, break glass" deals.

December 15, 2008 4:15 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Excellent advice PoP. A fire extinguisher in the kitchen is a must and one outside the kitchen a great idea.
I keep one in the garage and the basement as well as one in the kitchen.
Even if you can't put out the fire with one you may keep it contained enough for the firefighters to have an easy job when they arrive. A few minutes can make all the difference in the world when it comes to how much damage a fire can do.

December 15, 2008 4:30 AM  
Blogger billie said...

now- that's a good idea. don't forget to check your carbon monoxide detector/smoke detector batteries too- i check mine when i turn the clocks forward and back. they do save lives.

December 15, 2008 5:55 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Thanks for the PSA, PoP. I'm glad to say that I have a brand-new extinguisher in my kitchen, courtesy of my landlord, as well as Carbon Monoxide and smoke detectors all around the apt. Definitely not something you want to forget or put off.

December 15, 2008 6:40 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

great post. I like the idea of knowing how to use it!

December 15, 2008 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do have at least two. One in the kitchen and one in the garage. I should check them, though.

A great reminder!

December 15, 2008 8:04 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

i have 1 in the kichen and 1 in the garage.

i hope that if there is ever a fire i am calm enough to be able to use it and not just freak!

December 15, 2008 8:15 AM  
Blogger roger said...

oh dear. we are remiss. a lovely idea for a self-given gift for xmas.

December 15, 2008 8:52 AM  
Blogger Dean Wormer said...

I'm worried my fire extinguisher is low since I'm always turning it on the kids.

December 15, 2008 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up, PoP. Also, be sure to change the batteries on your smoke detectors once a year if you're not using the ones directly wired to the house.

December 15, 2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

thanx for the reminder, PoP--
always a good idea--especially this time of year.
I have one in the kitchen and one at the far end of the house. another in the bedroom would be a good idea.

December 15, 2008 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 15, 2008 10:16 PM  
Blogger Cujo359 said...

I even have a fire extinguisher in the car. I've used it, too.

December 16, 2008 1:42 AM  
Blogger abb said...

Good reminder - we have 2. One in the kitchen and one downstairs by the fireplace. Having one our bedroom - distant from both the other extinguishers is a great idea! i'll have to get one more.

December 16, 2008 6:39 AM  
Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Thanks for the reminder. We bought 2 or 3 when we moved in to our new place.

December 16, 2008 7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

February 18, 2010 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home