Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Toilet Trials and Tribulations

Okay, I mentioned last week that as a result of so much rain we lost the use of our toilets for a while. This is the result of our home being on a septic tank. The ground became so saturated there just wasn’t any place for the drainage to go. But a couple of hours later we were good to go (no pun intended)

For the next couple of days as the rain continued, we would flush the toilets as infrequently as possible, for obvious reasons. One of the toilets seemed to have a problem in that it wouldn’t completely refill after a flush. Not good.

So last Thursday night Mr. Pop opened up the tank to see if there were any obvious problems. He turned off the water valve at the wall, or so he thought. He unscrewed the tube that brings the water to the tank and that’s when things went terribly wrong. Water began shooting everywhere. He quickly tried to tighten the valve at the wall and bingo, the valve broke off in his hand. Water continued to spew from the tube like a loose hose. He was running to grab towels from the linen closet and trying to hurry back as the short little tube with it’s ammo of water continued to fight him. There was only one thing to do, he had to put a whole bunch of towels on the tube and run like hell outside to shut off the water line coming into the house.

Meanwhile, I was sound asleep and didn’t know about any of this. So when I awoke Friday morning and stumbled into the kitchen, I found three bottles of water beside my coffee maker and a gallon plastic jug of water sitting in the sink. Along with a short note that informed me that the outside water line was closed.

When Mr. Pop awoke he told me about his experience the night before. He said he felt like he was in an “I Love Lucy” episode, the one where Lucy and Ethyl are working in the chocolate factory. When he let go of the spewing tube to run and grab more towels, there would be even more water all over the place when he returned, causing him to need even more towels. It was a soggy vicious cycle.

Bottom line, the plumber arrived Friday morning and 45 minutes later we had a completely rebuilt toilet and a new valve at the wall. All new parts and it works now better than it ever did. The plumber: $218.00. If I could have had a video of Mr. Pop’s experiences last Thursday night: Priceless!

17 Comments:

Blogger Distributorcap said...

also sounds like when lucy and ricky buy fred and ethel a tv set and it doesnt work so ricky puts wires together and it explodes.

August 26, 2008 2:02 AM  
Blogger Fixer said...

Ya got off cheap. Tell Mr. POP I empathize. The same line on our upstairs toilet blew a few years back while we were sleeping. By the time I woke up, there was a waterfall coming through the ceiling downstairs. Oy, what a mess.

August 26, 2008 2:42 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

While it was probably not so funny at the time, it does have a complete slapstick sound to it! Too bad there is no video!

Glad that all is well and that it did not cost too much. Now it can just be a funny story instead of something quite horrible!

August 26, 2008 3:31 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Just make sure the next time a terrible storm is barreling down upon you guys, you have the camera at the ready. What's more important, your safety or our entertainment? Sheesh. ;-)

August 26, 2008 5:48 AM  
Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Holy crap, pun intended, I bet that would have been sad but funny to see him scramble like that.

August 26, 2008 6:33 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

wow! sorry my daughter wasn't around to help teehee, she has recently been doing allot of plumbing

August 26, 2008 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering,did you check with Fred? Did he stand back and watch the chaos? I know our cats would be watching from a safe distance and laughing.

August 26, 2008 7:25 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

I'm a pretty handy guy around the house...no problem with electrical, hammer and bang and all. Plumbing is my downfall and I have learned after oh so many years to just call the plumber. It's expensive but it is almost always less expensive than having him undo your damage as well. Shame there is no video.

August 26, 2008 7:27 AM  
Blogger roger said...

water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink.

August 26, 2008 7:30 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Even without the video you did a great job conveying the visual madness of the moment. Glad it all worked out, and everything is flowing as it should be.

August 26, 2008 7:36 AM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

Oy! No good. Good thing the plumber was fast and inexpensive the next day. And isn't it always during the evening or on the weekends when these things go?

Luf, Us

August 26, 2008 8:15 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Maybe Fred got some video? I'm sure he snickered at Mr. Pop behind his back, but loved and consoled him to his front. That Fred's a sweet one. And poor Mr. Pop!

August 26, 2008 8:49 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

I got here just too late. I was gonna suggest you check behind Fred's bed for a hidden camera, myself - but dguzman beat me to it.
xxx
reminded me of the time in my OLD house: I woke and lay in bed listening to the rain-- till I got up and found that it wasn't raining outside.
it was, however, raining in the kitchen-- directly beneath the toilet. :(
xxx
at least it didn't happen on Friday night...

August 26, 2008 10:49 AM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

Pop and two crows
I have to laugh! I have had both those experiences. Funny but you tend to think it is you but it is most of us.
I fixed the toilet once and after I shattered it called the plumber. Once camping with my sons while we were sleeping my youngest had to go to the bathroom but Tommy wouldn't go out because it was raining so I got him out and remembered oh yeah we pitched the tent next to a waterfall. Life what a laugh sometimes!

August 26, 2008 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shortly after moving into our just completed farmhouse we had several days of heavy rain. I went out exploring as soon as the sun came out, happily squishing along in my Wellingtons, exulting in our beautiful acreage. At the edge of the field I found water bubbling out of the ground. I was thrilled! We had an Artesian well! I excitedly called my husband over to show him, and he starting laughing at me. "What you actually have here is an Artesian Spring of Shit!" he said. Turns out we were standing over our field lines to the septic tank.

August 26, 2008 1:37 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Ah, the horrors of plumbing; my parents, over the course of their 52 years of marriage, accumulated a number of, uh, experiences with plumbing that one friend of mine called "The Naked Plumbing Stories." More than once they were nekkid or scantily clad when pipes burst, sump pumps failed, etc.
I do not do any home plumbing, nor do I encourage the men in the house to do so. We call the experts!

August 26, 2008 4:53 PM  
Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

"Water, water, everywhere
and how the boards did shrink..."

August 27, 2008 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home