Monday, March 20, 2006

Welcome Spring

Welcome Spring to the year 2006. I’ve been anticipating your arrival this year just as I do every year. You know, of all Mother Nature’s seasons, I favor you the most. Don’t get me wrong, each season brings its own special gifts but yours are just so beautiful. You always bring new hope and new life. You bring glorious flowers and tiny new animals. Your colors are beyond description. The pastels of Spring are a welcomed vision.

Sadly Spring, we humans have nothing of beauty to offer you this year. Our world is drab with suffering and death. We are a bit out of sorts with so much of what is occurring around us. We welcome your pleasantness because we have little of our own. Where you bring greening into the world we can hardly see past the dark.

I’m sorry there is not as much space for you to spread your greening as there used to be. We have poured even more concrete in the spaces you once flowered. We have sprayed chemicals on your past gifts. The air isn’t as conducive for you to spread your beauty as it once was. The water carries poisons of its own. Seems each year we make it more and more difficult for you to work your magic and spread your wonders.

But, welcome Spring. We welcome whatever beauty you may share, whatever effort you might give us. We welcome you with open arms. Please forgive us for making your season, your task, your gifts and your beauty more difficult for you each year. Perhaps one year we will give something back to you. Something in the form of care and appreciation and respect for what you have given to us in the past.

12 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Even spring doesn't bring hope to me anymore.

March 20, 2006 6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's spring. Finally. But it's really miserable out today. Cold, dreary. Maybe things will improve. But I tend to agree with Neil. Things aren't looking too hopeful these days.

At least I'm looking forward to a week at the beach in June. Maybe that will cheer me up.

March 20, 2006 6:29 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Beautifully written. I was just thinking this morning that no matter what horrid things these monsters do, they can not stop Spring, although they do try.

March 20, 2006 8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The local water ice place give free water ice to everyone on the first day of spring. Sadly it will be no higher than 42 today. Not a record low but still about 10 degrees less then normal. It isn't supposed to get about 45 at all this week. Very depressing all around....

None the less, the days are getting longer and the sun is out longer.

Don't worry be happy!

March 20, 2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

I wish someone would let old man winter know, there was 4 inches of snow on the car this morning.

March 20, 2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

39 degrees and falling here in West Tennessee :(

March 20, 2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Pogo said...

Forecast of 1-3" snow/sleet over most of WV tomorrow. I love the arrival of Spring. Mrs. Pogo says we're not out of the woods until May, but she's a born pessimist. I on the other hand bought new bikes for the kid and me yesterday. I love Spring, even if the damned skunks come out this time of year.

March 20, 2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger PoliShifter said...

I though Bush said there was no such thing as Spring or Mother Nature?

Isn't pagan thinking outlawed in this country yet? If not, who will be first? South Dakota or South Carolina?

March 20, 2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

So if I say vernal equinox, I'm in deep do-do?
Ut oh!

It may be a tie between SD and SC. As long as they are outlawing stuff they'll probably both toss it in.

It's in the high 80's here today. May hit 90 tomorrow. But this weekend they say the evening lows may be in the 40's
We're on a weather roller coaster.

March 20, 2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Auntie Roo said...

I love when the spring peepers start their song. That's when I know spring is finally here.

I had to bundle up a bit but was out in the yard doing some recon for yard/garden work. Working in the garden might be the only thing that keeps me sane this spring/summer.

March 20, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I understand, auntie roo. Some times you have to go to another level. Been there and done that :)

March 20, 2006 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The arctic is melting in a major way. (Hat tip, Americablog.)

- oddjob

March 22, 2006 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home