Monday, April 12, 2010

Martini’s Silent Suffering

During the last years of Murphy’s life I found an outstanding groomer for him. This groomer was a retired dog show groomer who just wanted to do grooming on a small scale. He was so good and so gentle with my little aging dog. He was wonderful. Not long before Murphy’s death this groomer moved to Georgia, much to my disappointment.

When I got Martini I relied on another groomer who I knew and trusted to take care of Martini’s needs. Two weeks ago when we picked up Martini from this groomer he looked strange as she had trimmed the fur on one of his ears to a point and the other ear was blunt on the top. Up until that time she had done a so-so job and this mess put me over the edge.

Last Wednesday I called my vet and asked if they could recommend a good groomer. To my relief and happiness they told me Murphy’s groomer had moved back in town and was grooming near by. I called him and made an appointment for this past Saturday to see if he could make Martini’s ears at least match.

We took Martini to him Saturday and waited as he took Martini to his grooming table to see what he could do. A few minutes later he brought Martini back with his ears looking beautiful. But he was holding something in his hand. It was two wads of long hair. Straightened out, each wad was about four or five inches long. This was hair he had removed from the inside of Martini’s ears. For over a year the previous groomer had not cleaned out the hair from the inside of Martini’s ears. This is something basic a groomer always does.

Needless to say Martini will now be a regular customer of this gentleman and he’ll never see the other groomer again. Imagine having your ears stuffed with tissue paper for a year. I am embarrassed that I did not check to see if she had done a complete grooming job, but sometimes you expect a professional to be professional.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sewmouse said...

Somebody is going to be able to hear the treat bag rustle even BETTER now!

Glad to hear your former groomer returned and took care of the little guy!

April 12, 2010 3:05 AM  
Blogger Matthew Hubbard said...

Hope the little fella wasn't in a lot of discomfort. Good news that your old groomer is back.

April 12, 2010 4:15 AM  
Blogger Fixer said...

That groomer needs a good kick somewhere. Ear cleanliness is important for dogs to prevent infections.

April 13, 2010 2:23 AM  
Blogger Fixer said...

FYI, they sell ear cleaning solution at PETCO. You can do it yourself regularly like we do with Shayna if you choose.

April 13, 2010 2:25 AM  
Blogger Skruffy said...

Hmmmm... I'm thinking I should go to Martini's groomer and him check my ears. Maybe that, instead of age and genetics, is why my hearing is so bad.

April 15, 2010 10:00 AM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

it is so sad that the former groomers took so little care with your dear Martini. How can they look themselves in the mirror?!

April 16, 2010 9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 19, 2010 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home