Tuesday, April 07, 2009

In Defense of Dog Toys

Our new little dog, Martini, has been with us just a bit over two months. Two such happy and fun months they have been. He’s our love and yes, our entertainment too.

Getting to know a new little dog is sometimes trying but most times fun. He sleeps in his bed beside ours. At first if either of us moved during the night he was up like a shot to see what was going on. Now he sleeps no matter who gets up or when. When he does wakeup he heads for the front door telling me he needs to go out. When I bring him back in, around 6:00am, he eats his breakfast and makes one more trip outside. When Mr. Pop leaves for work, Martini heads back to bed.

About noon he comes to find me and let me know, after another trip outside, he’s ready to play and have fun. I happily welcome that request. He chooses which toy he wants me to toss for him and away we go at throw and fetch. At some point he doesn’t chase the toy but instead just snuggles up to me, rolls over and lets me rub his tiny tummy.

This whole playing thing begins again when Mr. Pop comes home. Mr. Pop and I both play with him and I think for this little dog, that’s about as good as life can get.

Yes, I do drop a couple of bucks on dog toys, but this little guy is my daytime companion, he’s my and our entertainment. We don’t go to the movies and we may go out to eat once a week. I believe most would say we life a fairly frugal life. Our house and car are paid for. We have no credit card debts and as you know we are weekly donators to our local food pantry, in a big way. So am I wasting money by buying fun things for my little dog to play with? I just don’t think so, and neither does Martini. He says variety is the spice of a little dog’s life.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Know said...

Kudos on the charitable work, PoP.
As for the pet toys, I've always found it a challenge to make them at home rather than buy some potentially toxic crap from China. I'm funny that way...

April 07, 2009 2:33 AM  
Blogger Fixer said...

As long as you and Martini are happy, spend away. No need to feel guilty bringing some joy into your life. What's the point of living without happiness?

April 07, 2009 3:09 AM  
Blogger billie said...

you are a lucky woman pop :) i dropped a few bucks on the cats over the years too because they get bored and hound me. i have ended up regifting many of them to cats who actually play with more than a string from an old blouse, brown packing paper, and a box. sigh. at least the cats are cheap dates :)

April 07, 2009 6:04 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

PoP, I hope my comment yesterday about the old cotton socks didn't precipitate this defense. I should have added that, in spite of purchased squeaky toys and stuffed animals our dogs seemed to enjoy the old cotton sock toys the most.
We could also keep them entertained for hours with an empty plastic butter container turned upside down on the kitchen floor. They would push it around for hours and have a great time.

April 07, 2009 6:16 AM  
Blogger Sewmouse said...

Everyone has the right to spend their "play" money how ever they want. I don't think anyone has the right to dictate to another how or where or on what their money should be spent after bills and living expenses are covered.

There are folks who would say that my "stash" of fabrics that aren't yet quilts is wasteful spending. They may all go stick their noses into someone else's stew, because I plan to do what I wish with my "spare" funds.

It all boils down to one of my pet beliefs: Freedom of choice - in all things, not just reproductive rights!

April 07, 2009 6:59 AM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

My Lola would kill for an empty 20 oz soda bottle. :-) I made the mistake of giving her one I had emptied at the beach; now I have to watch her carefully if I have one. She is still such a puppy that I really only buy the cheap, cheap toys. She is going to chew it up eventually and the $3 one seem to last longer than the $10 one. (FM, good ideas, but how did you keep the dogs from eating the GOOD socks?)

But, PoP, she's your baby and it's your money. You do not have to explain yourself to the Internets. Just enjoy her.

April 07, 2009 6:59 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

LLL. That was a problem with my daughter's tiny socks since she had a tendency to leave them about. I,on the other hand, am a well trained married guy and the good socks go in the hamper. The occasional "good sock" that developed a hole was always good for a nice game of tug of war though.

April 07, 2009 7:11 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Pets are such a joy in our lives. I couldn't imagine life without them.
Very nice post!

April 07, 2009 9:00 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

I had bought a series of laser lights for Jake. he's bored with them now. when I start shining it, he'll watch it from one spot for a bit, then come over to me and stare at the pointer. he's sussed it out and it's no fun anymore, I guess.

our latest is a couple of elastic bands cut from some old underwear. I think he likes it better because it's something tangible that he can catch and kill. he loves that old elastic.

I'm off to the kitchen now to see how he likes old butter tubs. :)

April 07, 2009 11:19 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

i bring something home, toys or treats or both every other week for max and bob and layla. they wait at the top of the stairs if they see me with grocery bags. they know.

they are happy and i tell myself i'm helping the economy.

of course, i say that when i buy myself cookies! ; )

April 07, 2009 2:24 PM  
Blogger lisahgolden said...

I don't see anything wrong with buying Martini some toys. You're using them and he enjoys it. Seems simple to me. I'm glad you're enjoying having him and getting to know him!

April 07, 2009 4:04 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

No wasting $$$. My dogs got a postcard just this week from Martini...your cutey patootey was just going on and on about how much he loved the lavish toys his 'rents showered upon him which in turn made my pups jealous. When did your pup learn to write anyway? Think we can keep that to a minimum? I'm kinda tapped out...I can't keep up with the Martini's forever. ( -:

April 07, 2009 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home