Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Good Read and A Good Escape

I refuse to allow all this financial negativity to sink it’s talons into me. I am having the time of my life with my new little dog. I am reading more than listening to the talking heads. Does this mean that the current economic mess isn’t bothering me? Hell no, but fretting over it, listening to talking heads on TV telling me what to think about it and wasting time wringing my hands doesn’t do any good either.

Remember the book I mentioned I purchased this past weekend? It was titled “Dog On It”, by Spencer Quinn. I finished it yesterday morning. It was just plain fun to read. It’s about a private investigator and his partner, his dog. The dog is telling the story from his prospective and it’s about a mystery they solved, Everything comes from a dog’s point of view and this dog has a sense of humor. The author is able to unite the comedy of the dog’s thinking and at the same time intrigue the reader with a mystery. It’s light reading and great for escaping the infamous wonders of our world today. If you have ever shared your life with a dog, you will especially enjoy this little treasure and yes, you sure will laugh. In my opinion this book gets extra credit because the dog is telling the story which means he isn’t going to die or be killed, as is the case in so many other stories about dogs.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sewmouse said...

Oh, I will have to pick that up.

If you enjoyed that, you might enjoy the "Midnight Louis" books by Carole Nelson Douglas - same sort of light reading, but the "gumshoe" is a cat instead.

March 25, 2009 6:35 AM  
Blogger dogs eye view said...

A reading recommendation tailored for me. Thanks much!

Agree on your last sentence. Reading a mystery novel in a famous series. A dog has been carefully introduced in Chapter 2 or 3; I am terribly worried about its prospects. Meanwhile, I know that a human recurring character meets a terrible fate toward the novel's end -- care not a whit about that ...

March 25, 2009 6:53 AM  
Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Does the dog have Twitter?

March 25, 2009 8:29 AM  
Blogger Dean Wormer said...

That is really the best solution. Watching the news these days will drive you crazy.

March 25, 2009 8:45 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Oh come on, everyone knows only 14% of dogs can talk.

Unless it's for sports, dean is right, don't turn on the teevee.

March 25, 2009 8:49 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Are you kidding me? Surely more than 14% of dogs can talk - I have 4 myself and all 4 can speak, drink, smoke and do the Iggy shuffle.

March 25, 2009 11:49 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

I'll have to try Dog on it, too. it sounds great!

I'm reading another animal's-perspective book right now -- Firmin. It's told from the point of view of a rat.
Parts are hilarious -- as when Firmin teaches himself ASL in hopes of communicating with humans -- then goes in search of a deaf person.
it has it's dark side, too, tho. Firmin is, deep down, a cynic.

March 25, 2009 9:07 PM  
Blogger two crows said...

btw-- I hate the talking-heads, too.
but I'm hooked on Rachel Maddow. I come away from her program educated and her quirky sense of humor helps me not to descend into despair.

March 25, 2009 9:18 PM  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I couldn't agree more about the last line - I always worry about the dog too in any book or movie. And like Dog's Eye View, my feeling about the loss of the humans is much more sanguine! I don't dare read anything about a dog if it might die at the end. I remember once reading an Anne LaMott book at jury duty and didn't realize the dog died in the middle of the story. I was sitting there practically sobbing in the jury waiting room, holding the book in front of my face so the other potential jurors couldn't see my streaming tears!

March 29, 2009 1:29 PM  
Blogger Suzi Riot said...

I love mysteries and I love dogs, so I took your recommendation. I picked up the book at the library over the weekend and only had time to get through a little of it. So far I'm really enjoying it. Thanks!

March 30, 2009 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home