Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Sweet Madam Karma, she’s alive and well (con’t from yesterday)

I got out of the car and moved the vacuum. I walked from the garage into the kitchen. There was kitty litter all over the floor and it appeared to have been wet and then dried. There was cat hair all over the kitchen counters and little poofs of Murphy’s hair all over the carpet in the living room. I was pissed and horrified. If Fred the Cat’s hair was all over the place that meant he had the run of the house, something I had stressed to her that he must not do. He couldn’t be trusted around electrical wires, etc. When in the past Fred the Cat had been too rough with Murphy we had seen these little poofs of Murphy’s fur, but not like this and not this much.

I called the lady and asked her what had happened. She said the vacuum was in the garage because she forgot which bedroom she found it in. Ours is a three bedroom home so that sounded pretty lame to me. I asked why Fred the Cat had had the run of the house. She denied he did, even though the evidence was everywhere.

I realized I was getting nowhere with her so I just told her I would put her pay in an envelope under my doormat and she could pick it up at her convenience. I knew if I had to see her in person there was no telling what I was going to say to her. I just wanted this woman out of my life forever.

When we got our next phone bill seems she had made more than a few long distance calls on our number and we got the bill. Rather than get involved with her again we just paid the damned bills.

Now we come back to the present. Thursday morning of last week I woke up, stumbled into the kitchen, clicked on the coffee maker and turned on the TV to the local news. First thing I heard was the newscaster say, “A local pet sitter was arrested for grand theft and carrying a concealed weapon. Her name is ___ ___.” Yep, it was the same woman. Seems she had taken up the hobby of helping herself to some of her customers belongings while she was pet sitting their animals. Thank goodness, she didn’t do that when she was here. We never discovered anything missing.

For all the aggravation she caused me, for all the anger she caused me and for all the danger that woman may have caused my pets, Sweet Madam Karma, stepped in and with her magic she took care of this woman and her business too. I love the aroma of coffee and Karma on a Thursday morning.

27 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

What a story! I am just glad the animals were ok for one and that you did not get ripped off either.

What a moment that must have been when you heard her name on TV.

Proving once again that what comes around and goes around.

Brilliant.

November 20, 2007 3:15 AM  
Blogger Fixer said...

I betcha Fred turned her in. Heh ...

November 20, 2007 3:17 AM  
Blogger Distributorcap said...

living well and out of jail is the best revenge......

as for Miss Grand Theft.......

November 20, 2007 3:31 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

You can't even trust a pet sitter anymore.

November 20, 2007 4:06 AM  
Blogger pineapple said...

you must have your karma in order because it sounds like you got off easy. a messy house is a lot better than having harm done to your animals and the pain of dealing with stolen goods. that bad lady should rot for taking advantage of people that just wanted to make sure their pets were cared for while they were away.

November 20, 2007 5:03 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

geez! that's why I only let people I know have a key to my house and access to my pets!

November 20, 2007 5:07 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Good she got what she deserved.

November 20, 2007 5:12 AM  
Blogger XUP said...

It's almost impossible to find a reliable pet sitter. Who knows what really goes on while you're away? The pets ain't talking. Do they really come in twice a day and feed the cat? Do they snoop through your stuff? Are they nice to the kitty? Glad you came away from this experience relatively unscathed. Sheesh.

November 20, 2007 5:46 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Yikes. Proof that there are assholes in every walk of life. Glad this one didn't do anything egregious and that the animals are okay!

November 20, 2007 5:53 AM  
Blogger Agi said...

What a crazy story! Karma sure bit her in the ass.

It's hard to trust strangers with watching your pets and your house. Luckily, we are able to send our dog to my parents' house when we go on vacation.

November 20, 2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Whew! You must have the good karma to have avoided her thieving ways.

November 20, 2007 6:31 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

i just love it!

November 20, 2007 6:59 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Yay for Madame Karma. It's always good when the bad guys and gals wind up in jail. What's the world coming to, if you can't trust a pet sitter?

November 20, 2007 7:25 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Sweet sweet karma, takin' care of Mr. Fred, Murphy, and our Pop. Whew.

That lady was insane, man. Glad you came out of it with just some stray fur and a misplaced vacuum cleaner.

Reason #658 that I only let my friends take care of my babies, and we return the favor for them. I could never trust a stranger.

November 20, 2007 7:36 AM  
Blogger roger said...

in an earlier phase of my life taking care of the neighbors animals when they went away involved milking two goats....twice a day. i got to keep the milk. no vacuum cleaners were involved.

so glad your loss was only cleanliness and money. revenge is sweet when carried out by karma.

November 20, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

Ooooh. I would have been livid coming home to that! Since I'm a pet sitter, I can assure you that not all of us are snooping, thieving, unreliable people. I usually try to leave the home a bit more tidy than I found it, and the animals brushed and happy.

Thank goodness what goes around comes around for that worthless zit on the face of an ass.

November 20, 2007 8:02 AM  
Blogger Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Oh, I'm so glad you and your animals were safe! That's a scary tale.

November 20, 2007 8:10 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

glad she didn't do damage to your critters. i've been very lucky with mine. but that's all it was, dumb luck, not anything else.

November 20, 2007 8:20 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Oh my gosh! The thought of that pet sitter in your home! Thank goodness the animals weren't injured, but this is just freaky.

When I had multiple dogs, I used to leave them in a kennel if we had to leave town because the thought of someone coming into our house just bugged me. The kennel we used was around for a long time and highly rated, so I didn't mind leaving the dogs there. Besides, they kenneled them in three sets of two's and made sure their kennels were next to each other, so they had each other to ease their nervousness of being left behind. In fact, the oldest male had the run of the kennel and often slept at the feet of the owner in the office.

I'm glad the woman was caught, but I'll bet that after her sentence (if she gets one), she'll be back ripping off other people.

November 20, 2007 9:36 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Karma, she is a bitch. And she'll eventually rise up and bite you in the ass if you deserve it.

I can sit with Fred next time...

November 20, 2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Omigosh, what a great story. That's why God invented nanny-cams.

November 20, 2007 9:50 AM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

That is one wild story. Unbelievable.

November 20, 2007 10:02 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

it's always so nice when you realize that time takes care of folks like that horrid pet sitter. laying back and letting her hang herself was obviously the right thing to do! it beats getting all angry at someone that hasn't a clue to start with!

November 20, 2007 10:06 AM  
Blogger The Culture Ghost said...

Damn! After reading this I went through my mental Rolodex and checked all our pet-sitters...all been good so far. You were very fortunate...never mind the stuff issue; it's our critters that are paramount!

November 20, 2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Santa Claus said...

Thank you for your note. I really appreciate you stopping by the blog. I can answer your questions offline... I try to avoid public politics. My email address is: santanorthpoleceo@gmail.com if you want to discuss offline the status of President Bush and Vice President Cheney on the Naughty/Nice List.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Your Friend,
Santa

Santa Claus
Chief Executive Officer
North Pole Inc.
www.clauschronicles.blogspot.com

November 20, 2007 9:13 PM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

a good time of year to post this cautionary tale....my daughter is pet sitting for a coworker of mine...and she'd better not screw up! The kitty needs insulin twice a day!

what a shocker for you -- I'm glad your damages were limited. you handled it well and correctly, "Just get that woman out of my life!"

November 21, 2007 8:29 AM  
Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Holy crap! You and the pets got lucky POP, good for you!

November 21, 2007 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home