Friday, July 27, 2007

Philosophical, Fred the Cat


After the person who owns the lot next door decided to chop down all the trees over there and basically lunar-scaped the place, a very invasive wildflower took over. The flowers are small and yellow.

Ever so often Mr. Pop has to crack the whip at the fence line to keep these flowers from sneaking through the fence and taking over the entire yard. When you look at the vacant lot you just see yellow flowers and green leaves, nothing ever seems to change.

This week one little flower made it through the fence. One little yellow flower against the backdrop of the brown fence. It was so pretty. It became an individual in a location where there were none of its kind. It was no longer one of many, it was one alone. Its beauty was so noticeable because it was away from the other hundreds just like it.

Seems to me there is a message there. Perhaps if we step outside our own kind, leave the comfort of what is the norm and go where we can become an individual to showcase our own beauty, we might find others who appreciate our individuality. Maybe more of us should sneak through the fence.

Let’s face it, if you walked into a room and saw me along with hundreds of other black and white cats, you might miss the beauty of my individuality. Just think of the treasure you might miss. Me? A conceited cat? Never.

That’s just my feline take on a hint from Mother Nature.

Have a great weekend

Sincerely,
Fred the Cat (the cat who loves you guys)

19 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Fred is quite the philosopher today, and very insightful.

July 27, 2007 5:21 AM  
Blogger Sparky Duck said...

Fred is right, we need to step beyond our comfort zone. But, I am sure Fred would make himself noticed in a room full of black and white kitties.

July 27, 2007 6:41 AM  
Blogger Joni said...

Amen Fred!

July 27, 2007 7:07 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

You are a very wise cat Fred. That insight is something that 90% of humans never register.

July 27, 2007 7:47 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

You know what I think, Fred, if we appreciated the beauty of every individual, we would never have war.

July 27, 2007 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred,

Although I agree with the Sentiment, I'm not so sure.

I've been standing on the other side of the fence for over 30 years,and people, in general, seem to prefer being corralled.

Of course, "my kind" don't actually live on this planet, apparently.

July 27, 2007 9:01 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Fred- what a beautiful post to get us through till next Friday!
You have a great weekend & week!

July 27, 2007 9:11 AM  
Blogger Gort said...

Fred, I think you would stand out in any crowd. Ptolemy says hi and tell PoP to come get her tee shirt.

July 27, 2007 11:18 AM  
Blogger FunkyTown Fighter said...

I think Fred is wise beyond his years! Can we nominate him for President even if he is a feline? I mean he makes more sense than Shrub anyway so why not? Have a good week-end Fred!

July 27, 2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

fred is right! you must be an individual. Whether it is noticed or not is the difference.
I am sure that now that you have seen the beauty of the single flower you can appreciate the beauty of the field. I do hate to see trees cut down though.

July 27, 2007 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. Fred, you've obviously never heard of Round Up!!! Just kidding have a good one and I hope the person you allow to live with you feeds you some nice tasty fish heads today.

July 27, 2007 4:33 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Very astute of you Fred...you always have something intelligent to impart. You are wise and we should worship at your altar of Fredness.

July 28, 2007 12:18 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

An astute observation, and one that seems to be lost on a good many! ; (

July 28, 2007 5:38 AM  
Blogger LET'S TALK said...

Way to go Fred!

July 28, 2007 6:40 AM  
Blogger Blank said...

God, Fred, I believe you are on to something there. I'll be thinking about that all day.

July 28, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger WeezieLou said...

fred, you are one cool, cool kitty.

July 28, 2007 8:11 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Fred, Baby Mackie here. I like yellow things too, particularly these big yellow butterflies that hang around our place. I don't know why Snave comes charging out into the yard yelling at me whenever he sees me hunting one of them. I think he calls them "swallowtails"? Anyway, at my age and with my belly, they move just slowly enough that I can catch them and partially eat them, so I don't know what his problem is.

July 28, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

Fred,
You may be the only sane cat on the planet. I felt like you were talking to me today.
Way to go kitty.

July 28, 2007 5:59 PM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

Hi POP
Taking a little Break? just letting you know I am following you now! Gee I guess You have to be careful about saying that today.

July 30, 2007 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home