Saturday, April 15, 2006

There are times when all’s right with the world, even when it isn’t

I was awakened early this morning by Murphy. He’s a little deaf dog who apparently can’t hear his own bark, so he barks a lot when he needs us. No one breathing can sleep through his vocal messages. We take turns getting up and caring for him.

I got up, went into the kitchen and gave him his breakfast. Fred the Cat was awake so I fed him as well. After Fred ate I opened the door to allow him a romp around the screened-in patio. Then I grabbed Murphy’s leash, snapped it on his collar and we went outside to explore the early morning yard.

The moon was lingering in the western sky even as the sun was sneaking up from the opposite direction. If the moon didn’t get going we would seem to be in for a clash of large shiny orbs. In the distance I could make out the silhouette of a mourning dove sitting patiently on a pine tree branch. Maybe she was watching the celestial show along with me.

As Murphy diligently sniffed every blade of grass I listened to the sounds of a new day. An occasional mocking bird blurting out some important announcement at the top of its lungs. The hum of a car as someone set out for their destination, so early in the day. The distant call of the water birds as they awoke and discussed their flight plans and where they might dine today. Nothing unpleasant, just the sounds of a fresh and shining new day.

As I stood there in the early morning, dew-moistened grass waiting for my little dog to complete his mission, I couldn’t help but feel at that moment that all was right with the world, even though I know it isn’t.

13 Comments:

Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Your postings so often reflect my own experiences. I've been spending much time with animals and plants - all the things that know nothing of our current troubles, and it's refreshing.

April 15, 2006 5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PoP,
you remind us that the world keeps on spinning no matter what. I had an elderly man walk up to me at the grocery store a few weeks ago....he said
"I've chosen you to hear my daily wisdom...don't pay attention to the negative." I've been thinking about that message. Sometimes it's important to turn off the tv and or the radio. Just go outside and listen to nature. Let the sun shine on your face.
Happy Easter!

April 15, 2006 6:56 AM  
Blogger Walt said...

Isn't it surprising sometimes how even the most mundane things take on a luster early in the morning, when the curtain's about to come up and everything seems as if it's just been taken out of the wrapper?

April 15, 2006 7:40 AM  
Blogger Beach Blogger said...

Thanks for the early A.M. messages, PP. We were disappointed in ourselves to see we hadn't added a perma-link to you. That's fixed now.

You have a deaf dog. We have a blind one. What's truly amazing is how well dogs, and for that matter people and probably all life forms, too, adapt to whatever circumstances they find themselves in, and however low their physical beings may decline.

John B.
http://pbrla.blogspot.com/

April 15, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Big Tom said...

Hey Patricia:

It really is a CRAZY world.

Have you ever read any Sue Townsend books?

I highly recommend them. If you read them, you will realize we all live in a crazy world, and the only way to stay sane is to be cool, laugh, and no t take things too seriously. Hard to do.

I've got a crazy man posting wicked messages on my blog everyday.

Somehow, he finds the time to come over and say the most horrible things.

The world is a crazy place.

P.S. I'm envious. How do you get so many hits?

April 15, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger TFLS said...

The sights and sounds of life - I too surround myself with all nature has to offer - my critters, my garden. Sometimes you just need to stop and breathe it in. Birds visit the bath I put just outside my office window – splashing and singing. Butterflies, bees and hummingbirds dance around the garden I planted just for them. My dogs adore baying at Elvis in the yard. (Now - we know he's there; only no one can see him save the dogs). Let us hope and pray the world as it exists outside each of our doors will continue to spin on toward the next brilliant season.

April 15, 2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Auntie Roo said...

Life's rich pageant plays on.

April 15, 2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Very nice morning you and your pets had. You write it simply yet it reads so eloquently. Happy Easter to you and your family and little critters.

April 16, 2006 2:13 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I always love the early morning. It seems to be the only time you can stop and reflect because it's as if the world has stopped for a moment. Your description was right on it.

April 16, 2006 6:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do think they wouldn't have named a song "the morning dew" if there wasn't something mystical about it. I'd like to meet your dog too - Murphy sounds like a fun character.

April 16, 2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Nice images Patricia. I too have a little deaf dog (blind too) - he's 16. I will confess that a few mornings ago, I was out on our country driveway with him in the early dawn, feeling very much as you describe your experience. The part to confess is that while he emptied his little bladder (peeing on his front left foot as aways) - I casually joined him and emptied mine too (not on anyone's foot).

He turned and looked up at my, wagged his somewhat balding tail and led me back to the warmth of the house.

April 16, 2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Thanks for visiting my site.

I think our little Sasha is near the end - he hasn't had much water or food for a few days and is spending most of his time (23.5 hours)in his bed. He can's easily stand, but still wags his tial. We're giving him lots of love and pats and he's a dignified little guy right now.

If he's only sick and recovers, great... if not, we're ready for a loving death.

April 17, 2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Yikes, sorry for all the typos - I'm a bit sick myself and readying a hot bath.

April 17, 2006 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home