Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It really is always something

Last Tuesday night we smelled a strange odor in the laundry room. It smelled like plastic melting and it also smelled like hot electricity. It seemed to be coming from our electric circuit breaker box. Both Mr. Pop and I are very respectful of electricity. We phoned an electrician and he came out the next day.

When he opened the box he found parts of it had gotten so hot they had melted other parts. Aren’t you impressed so far with my use of professional wordage regarding our problem? So bottom line, lots of things needed to be replaced and some would have to be ordered. The electrician gave me a choice, I could either be without AC for a week or be without my clothes dryer for a week. Since it’s in the 90s here every day now, I opted for door number two, can the dryer.

Okay, it’s been close to a week and since I have no clothes line outside, the dirty clothes are stacking up. I could wash them all and go to a public laundry to dry them, but god I hate doing that. Plus we aren’t running short of clothes, so far.

The electrician called yesterday and he’s hoping to get all the work done on Wednesday. The bad news is that all of our electric will be shut off for at least four hours. I know I sound like a spoiled child but damn, no tv, no computer, no AC, no electrical anything for four hours on a hot as hell day? It sounds like tinges of hell to me.

I know, as they say, It’s always something, but does it always have to be this kind of something?

8 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Hubbard said...

You could spend a few of those hours at an air-conditioned laundromat.

Just a suggestion.

June 23, 2009 4:57 AM  
Blogger billie said...

look at it as an opportunity to really appreciate what you have :) and perhaps outside on the shaded porch with martini and fred? :)

June 23, 2009 5:55 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

The electricity went off one night, just after dinner. I started thinking: OK, no TV, no DVDs, not enough light to read... I suddenly could not think of anything to do besides go to bed early! (No wonder families usta be so big ;) heh heh

June 23, 2009 6:11 AM  
Blogger Sewmouse said...

Why not run to the hardware store, pick up a length of clothesline rope, then stop at Kmart or even the dollar store and pick up a few cheap clothespins, string the rope on the screened patio and dry a few "necessities" that way?

Having had no AC for almost 5 years now except at work, I've the following to suggest:

The mall.

The mall does not charge you to park, nor does it charge you to walk around. They are beautifully air-conditioned and usually have places where you can sit and watch people go by. Granted, you cannot take Fred and Martini, but it is an option.

June 23, 2009 6:15 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

It's good that your nose picked up the electrical problem before the fire department had to!
The outdoor clothesline is not a bad idea. Madam is equally in love with her tumble dryer but there is nothing quite so nice as clean sheets that have been dried on the line. The same for other things just not bath towels. Hanging out the clothes to dry used to be an excuse to get out and get a little fresh air and it is definitely an economical way to get the job done. Worth considering.

June 23, 2009 7:11 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Sewmouse has it right. Either a trip to the mall or a trip to the movies. That's what I used to do to stay cool back in Texas.

June 23, 2009 7:16 AM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

There is internet access at the library!
I know how hot it has been here and I am not positive I could handle 4 hours with no AC.
But I am spoiled.

June 23, 2009 10:58 AM  
Blogger Fixer said...

Shit, yer in Florida, baby, go to the beach and the take the little one with yas. Heh ...

June 23, 2009 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home