Thursday, April 09, 2009

Another Martini story

Having only recently discovered the squeaky toys of the universe, Martini is like a moth to a flame when he hears that squeaky sound from a toy anywhere in the house.

Tuesday afternoon I was walking Martini in the backyard and he seemed about ready to do what he came out to do. I must say here that he is easily distracted when he is outside. If something catches his eye, he seems for forget the original mission of the outing.

I have told you in the past about the seasonal visits we have of swallow-tailed kites. What I might have failed to mention is the call of the kites. They sound exactly like a squeaky toy sound. (I bet you see where I’m going with this, don’t you?) Yep, just as Martini had found the perfect spot in the yard to take care of business, the kites came soaring over us and calling. Well, this threw Martini into total little dog freak-out confusion. He could hear that wonderful squeaky toy sound but it was coming from the sky. He totally forgot what he was about to do and instead looked around wildly for the flying toys. He looked up at me with such an excited yet confused little face. All he saw was me laughing like crazy at him.

Thank goodness the kites only flew one reconnaissance flight over us. Within a few minutes, Martini’s attention was back to nature and we could finally declare, Mission Accomplished!

8 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

that's just too funny.

April 09, 2009 5:33 AM  
Blogger Darwin's Dagger said...

That's must of what happened to W. when he was trying to accomplish his mission. Got distracted by the squeaky toys.

April 09, 2009 6:19 AM  
Blogger Sewmouse said...

Oh gosh - I can just picture this so well - great descriptive writing, PoP! Fun to imagine what Martini was thinking about this new squeaky.

Reminds me of the time a 4-pack of canadian geese flew across the road by my house - followed about 50 yards behind by one goose flapping furiously and honking like Harpo on crack. Could just hear him going "HEY!! GUYS!! WAIT FOR ME!!!"

April 09, 2009 6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PoP: would Martini like some doga? (Non squeaky version.)

I can see him being good at this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/fashion/09fitness.html?em

dog's eye view

April 09, 2009 7:16 AM  
Blogger Dean Wormer said...

That's a great story, pop!

When my wife got her chihuaha I had a brief moment of fear when I left it outside by itself for a moment to answer the phone. I looked out the window while I was talking to see it barking like a maniac at the sky. All I could think was owl.

Turned out to be a ReMax balloon.

April 09, 2009 4:11 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

i too am easily distracted sounds like Martini and I would get along (although I try not to poop in the yard)

April 09, 2009 6:31 PM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Martini's a birder!

April 10, 2009 1:16 PM  
Blogger two crows said...

**ROTFL**
I can see Martini's face from here!

April 16, 2009 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home