Monday, December 29, 2008

The Priceless Gift

We had a sweet little Christmas and I sincerely hope you did as well. It was quite here and neither Mr. Pop nor I just could keep a smile off our face as we talked about the lab’s adopted family and those kids opening the gifts the lab had provided for them for Christmas morning. I sure would have liked to see the face of the little boy when he saw that new bike under the tree.

We also talked about all the food we had taken to the food pantry and we hoped that someone was enjoying our donations at that very moment.

Later Christmas morning I was alone in the kitchen washing our breakfast dishes. I looked out my kitchen window just in time to see a hummingbird fly over our fence and light in the Palatka holly tree that is just outside my kitchen window. We have seen hummingbirds here, but not frequently. The hummingbird sat there among the red holly berries for just a few moments. He looked in at me and I looked out at him. Then as magically as he had appeared, this tiny bird took flight and flew back over the fence and on to his next destination.

Something about that little bird’s visit seemed so special. Maybe it was a sign or an omen. Whatever it was, it sure was a beautiful Christmas present and it was all for me. Talk about a priceless gift!

10 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Beautiful post to read on a Monday morning!

Priceless is the word indeed.

Peace to you PoP and company!

December 29, 2008 4:54 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

lovely post and yes, i believe it was a sign.

December 29, 2008 5:42 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Hummers are absolutely the most fascinating things. I look forward to their return every spring and am always sorry to see them go away in the fall. Little flying jewels.
Did you ever see my hummingbird post?
http://fallenmonk.blogspot.com/2007/07/hummers.html

December 29, 2008 6:15 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

I think he was merely an advance scout for the inevitable avian takeover of the planet.

December 29, 2008 6:43 AM  
Blogger roger said...

nice that you are alive enough to recognize such a present.

December 29, 2008 7:07 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Cool gift, Pop! My first thought was, "oh god, he'll freeze!" then I remembered you live in sunny Florida. Lucky you!

December 29, 2008 7:32 AM  
Blogger Matthew Hubbard said...

We get the hummingbirds here in Northern California usually in late February or early March when the weather takes that first turn for the better.

I always tell my students that for me, learning something new about math is like seeing a hummingbird, just a little something that makes any day better.

December 29, 2008 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How beautiful. Yes, that bird was a wonderful gift as was the feeling you got for doing good works.

December 29, 2008 11:28 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

a lovely post to see on a monday on first getting online.

peace to you and Mr. PoP and Fred and a great coming year.

December 29, 2008 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering that I'm only getting to this late on Tuesday evening, I have to say, the image of the little bird has not faded one bit. Thanks for sharing this moment.

December 30, 2008 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home