Monday, August 04, 2008

Happy Birthday, Senator Obama!

Your birthday gift will be a little late this year. We are hoping to have it ready for you, November 4, 2008. We have a hell of a party planned in your honor at our house on that date.

Again, Happy Birthday Senator Obama and may you have many, many more.

***
Things Change

Some time back, I told you about the Care and Share box Mr. Pop and I had started for food donations to our local food pantry which, like everything else, is struggling now. Each week we buy a few things and put them in the box.

When we made our first delivery of donations about three weeks ago, there was no one there except the ladies who volunteer to run the pantry. The ladies were so grateful for the food that I felt embarrassed we hadn’t brought more. I asked if they accepted animal food as I had some canned and dry cat food in the bag. The ladies said they sure did take animal food because some of their clients have pets, especially the elderly. I also asked which human foods were in demand. They told me that peanut butter could feed a family a long time plus the it was a source of protein, maybe the only source many of their clients could get.

Okay, fast forward to this past Saturday. We arrived at the pantry with two big bags of peanut butter and canned vegetables, plus some other goodies.

When we walked into the pantry it was crowded with people shopping in the pantry and the very small thrift store. There were at least two families with little kids and some elderly people as well. One of the volunteers came over to greet us. We gave her the bags of groceries and softly refused the receipt she offered.

As we got back into the car, the tears were streaming down my face. Mr. Pop asked if I was okay. I told him I was and that was the reason for the tears. If, when I was a little girl anyone had told me that some day I would be bringing donations to a pantry like this rather than more aptly shopping at the pantry, I would never have believed them.

I’m not sure what that emotion was that I was feeling, but it sure was strong.

15 Comments:

Blogger fallenmonk said...

You may have been experiencing a "there but for the the grace of the Goddess go I" moment. It is very sobering to realize that the paths of our lives are changed in small ways that have big results. When you find yourself in a situation like giving to the charity and it hits home that you could very easily be on the other side kind of generates an emotional feedback. Pleasure in giving and knowing you are helping reinforced with the gratitude you would feel from the other end.

August 04, 2008 5:16 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

What fallenmonk said. Those shoppers could be us, save for a few breaks here or there.

August 04, 2008 5:28 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

yes. oh yes.

August 04, 2008 5:36 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

It's the opposite of the YOYO effect: progressives know that just about everyone is just a few paychecks or a sudden illness away from that, and the GOP operatives can only react with "You're on your own...".

I'd much rather be feeling than non-feeling

August 04, 2008 6:14 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Definitely what fallenmonk says. I have that feeling a lot these days, especially today when I found out our oil heating bill is going up by $100 a month this winter. What if we couldn't pay another $100--would we just freeze? It'll be a tight squeeze for us, but we can manage. Still, there are so many people around us who can't.

You're a good egg, PoP. A real good egg.

August 04, 2008 7:12 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i know that very same feeling well PoP. having had to accept charity makes the giving much more meaningful in indescribable ways.

August 04, 2008 8:23 AM  
Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Peanut butter is awesome, but a kind heart like yours is even better. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

August 04, 2008 11:18 AM  
Blogger Dean Wormer said...

Ahh. I know you didn't tell that story for a pat on the back but kudos for doing something kind for those that don't have so much.

Empathy is the only thing that seperates us from the animals.

August 04, 2008 12:28 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

This is a beautiful post. You are one good person- well you and Mr PoP are two good people!

I recently worked at a soup kitchen for a lunch hour, very moving as well.

It could be any of us, easily. The inability to see and to feel that is what causes so many problems.

August 04, 2008 1:22 PM  
Blogger dogs eye view said...

Patricia: such empathy by you and your readers; to realize it was a 'there but for the grace go I' moment. Too much emphasis on bootstraps and making one's own luck -- which happens too -- but what a gift to be able to volunteer and provide comfort and kindness to others.

Popped in from visiting eprof's blog.

You might have seen that several Craig Crawford's blog fans started the blog, backchannel, so that we could discuss and visit without drivebys and meanness.

Please visit us!

http://clistersbackchannel.wordpress.com/

Also, may we link to your blog on the backchannel blogroll? Always mean to keep a better eye on you and the pet.

Best wishes,
dog's eye view
(Lisa)

August 04, 2008 3:03 PM  
Blogger DivaJood said...

I haven't been by your place in what feels like forever, and I find this post. Lovely on so many levels, POP. Not just because you and Mr. POP are into action, with your care box, and weekly deliveries, but also because you realized how connected we all are, and there but for the grace of god go any of us.

August 04, 2008 4:55 PM  
Blogger eProf2 said...

Reiterating my comment over at backchannel. Love coming here to see what you have to say each week day, even if I don't comment on each and every post. Love Fred, too, as he implores us humans to do better with each other, with the furry folks, and his affection for just about everything. Now, you, you can be a grump once in awhile -- just kidding, LOL!

August 04, 2008 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PoP, I'm sorry I missed this yesterday. I have to agree with Randal on this one. I do okay myself, but I'm not very far ahead of the curve financially. Thanks for reminding me that I need to do more for those who are not.

August 05, 2008 4:47 AM  
Blogger Gordon said...

One time when I was in jail I got to go help out at a food giveaway in a small rural community up in Gold Country. Some of those folks walked 20 miles to get there. Old folks, young folks, hippies, meth heads, all kinds of people. It like to broke my heart to realize how many people needed the Food Bank.

August 06, 2008 9:53 AM  
Blogger MandT said...

Those shoppers are us. The world of giving has no relative value. It is pure compassion and flows without thought as do tears. peace MandT

August 06, 2008 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home