Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A first for me

Growing up poor, I learned quickly to become frugal. I have been pinching pennies since I was old enough to know what a penny was and what it could do.

When Mr. Pop and I married we lived with a new frugality but never the less, we practiced the art of frugality with precision. We did without and were careful when and where we spent our money.

I’m telling you this because I did something yesterday that I have never before done in my life. I have been wearing glasses since I was in high school. Often times I would go for years without upgrading my prescription. Again the frugality thing. When I did have to upgrade my lens and frames that was a major big deal. Because I needed prescription sunglasses too, I would always have them put my new sunglasses lens in my old regular glasses frames. By doing so, I saved the price of buying two new frames.

Over the weekend the lens popped out of my regular glasses and there was no way Mr. Pop or I could repair them. So yesterday morning bright and early we set out to the optometrist office for a repair job.

We arrived at his office and handed off the glasses to be repaired. Instead of having a seat and waiting like Mr. Pop did, I went wondering around where they keep all the glasses frames on display.

That’s when it happened. I saw the most beautiful sunglasses frame I have ever seen. They were made of something that but appeared to be tortoise shell, but of course it wasn’t. They looked like Audrey Hepburn should be wearing them. I was in love with these big brown gorgeous frames.

I tried them on and ask for Mr. Pop’s opinion. Nice favorable comments from him were forthcoming. When the girl who handles that department arrived I asked her if my prescription lens could be made for these frames. She said they could and proceeded to measure and all for the order. I was so damned excited. God, when was the last time I felt like that?

So in one week I shall be wearing my first ever sunglasses framed in the frames that I picked out, not the ones that frugality handed to me. Yeah, I splurged on the cost, but sometimes it feels good to reward yourself for all your past efforts. Do I feel a tinge of guilt? Yep, but damn, I’m gonna look good.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a photograph is the least we should expect!

March 25, 2008 4:26 AM  
Blogger The Donut Guy said...

I did the same thing a couple years ago....best money I ever spent on glasses.

March 25, 2008 4:27 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

YAY for you PoP! I mean you do live in a sunny state, every now and then a girl has to do something loving and fabulous for herself. And it is practical as well.


And David Duff is right- a photo of you all dark glasses and still so anonymous.

Please.

March 25, 2008 4:40 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Theodore Roosevelt

March 25, 2008 4:40 AM  
Blogger Forrest Proper said...

Good for you, you rock!

March 25, 2008 5:04 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Great PoP. I am sure you will look just fabulous and as franiam says you deserve to splurge every once in a while.
As an aside...note that Mr. Duff is just a dirty old Englishman and just fishing for pictures of pretty girls.

March 25, 2008 5:23 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

good for you!

March 25, 2008 5:43 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Oh, there's nothing wrong with splurging a little on something like that. After all, we all might get hit by a giant meteor soon enough!

March 25, 2008 5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fallenmonk is only half right - bit like his politics, actually! - I am indeed a dirty old Englishman but its glasses I get off on, they really do it for me - and fake tortoiseshell - oooh, too much!

And 'Donut Guy', if those were the specs you lashed out on, you were done, mate! And what is that rubber band for? Does it hold your nose on?

March 25, 2008 6:08 AM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

Good for you! You deserve a treat now and then. Besides, you'll be getting that huge check in May from the economic stimulus package, and we're all supposed to spend it, so maybe you just spent it in advance?

March 25, 2008 6:31 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

ooolala, new frames we won't know you and neither will Fred! you will be incognito! good for you! we must splurge on ourselves sometimes! isn't that why we are frugal anyway!

March 25, 2008 6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate. I studied frugality at the feet of the master, my mom.

Twenty years ago when I was agonizing over buying a nicer house, a great friend reminded me, “There are no pockets in a shroud.”

I had a similar experience buying an electric guitar a few months ago. Only when I got it in hand did I realize I’d really wanted it for thirty years. And it got me back to playing an hour or two a week. That is easily worth a few hundred bucks.

So don those shades, put the top down and go drive on the beach. You’ll look better than Thelma or Louise.

March 25, 2008 7:04 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Oh yes, it's good to splurge every once in a while. Frugality has its rewards, and that's in the absolute glee in permitting yourself the rare pleasure of a new pair of tortoise-shell sunglasses. Audrey Hepburn is smiling somewhere.

I splurged the other day too. I downloaded a whole Charlie Parker album instead of just one song. It was absolutely decadent, but so worth it!

March 25, 2008 7:40 AM  
Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

You go girl. Sometimes you have to do things for yourself.

March 25, 2008 8:14 AM  
Blogger Dean Wormer said...

I bet you look coooooolllll.

A new porsche is splurging. New sunglasses are a necessity.

March 25, 2008 9:24 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

PoP, I'm sure you'll be thoroughly gorgeous in them, and I know what you mean by frugal. When one is appealing SSDI as I am, one needs to squeeze every quarter so tight that the eagle craps.

March 25, 2008 9:44 AM  
Blogger La Belette Rouge said...

Need pictures!! Even if Fred is wearing them. Need to see glasses that made you splurge. Can't wait!!

March 25, 2008 10:53 AM  
Blogger D.K. Raed said...

I've done the exact same thing with my glasses for years. My big eyeglass complaint is those progressive lenses. I need them for one eye, not the other. In fact, I can read better without my glasses. For my next Rx, I'm gonna ask them about just putting plain old glass in the bifocal part of the left eye.

Guilt? naaaah, you've earned it! Knock 'em dead, PoP!

March 25, 2008 11:01 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Good for you, PoP! I definitely want to see Fred (or you) in the new specs!

Besides--you're helping this country dig its way out of the 500-mile-deep hole it's in---one grain of dirt at a time.

March 25, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

YOU GO, GIRL!!!
[I didn't know my mom gave mail-order courses--- ] :)

March 25, 2008 1:57 PM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

Get over it POP!
That's great glad to hear it and that Mr POP is gracious. Congratulations!

March 25, 2008 3:02 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Every now and then you just have to treat yourself to something fun and or nice. Otherwise, what's the point of all the frugality?

March 25, 2008 3:25 PM  
Blogger JS said...

Treat yourself the way you treat other people, once in awhile. Of course you deserve them! I am sure they will be as wonderful with the prescription lenses as they were in the store...and you'll be on cloud nine.

March 25, 2008 6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PoP - It's not the purchase but the use you get out them. Sweetie. Consider it money well-spent.

March 25, 2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger Distributorcap said...

of course a splurge (as opposed to surge) is in order for POP...

i bet you will look very Breakfast at Tiffany's

and you will feel great...

March 26, 2008 1:58 AM  
Blogger Dr. Zaius said...

Yay! If they are good enough for Audrey Hepburn, they're good enough for you.

March 26, 2008 10:12 AM  
Blogger Swinebread said...

A photo of the frames is a must!

Plus, you're helping the economy

March 26, 2008 4:24 PM  
Blogger Bob Dylan said...

Never feel guilty for taking care of your beautiful eyes

or anything to do with your health & well-being for that matter!

March 26, 2008 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home