Monday, March 24, 2008

We did not participate

We did absolutely nothing Easter-ie yesterday but it sure was a good day.

When the rain finally stopped around noon we headed over to the beach to see what was up. Mostly all that was up were milky white tourist lolling on the beach under dreary dark clouds.

Then we stopped by the lagoon to see if there might be some nature activity there. Ah, that’s what we were looking for, several dolphin swimming lazily around. From the size of the dorsal fins, we could see that there were at least two juveniles and several adults. Watching something like that on a cloudy silent Sunday will sure bring your blood pressure down to just about zero.

After tearing ourselves away from the lagoon, we headed for Barnes and Noble. And no we don’t have any locally owned bookstores here anymore.

We walked into the wonderful coffee scented atmosphere of one of my favorite sorts of stores. I picked up a copy of Barack Obama’s “Dreams from My Father”, and we headed home.

About three in the afternoon I snuggled up with my new book and an unhealthy slice of heavenly tiramisu. Does it get any better than that?

This was one of my best Easters ever, Sometimes you don’t have to participate in tradition to make a holiday wonderful.

16 Comments:

Blogger Distributorcap said...

that is my kind of easter! hope Fred also snuggled up.

i did not march in the easter parade.

March 24, 2008 2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An unhealthy slice of tiramisu and a book sounds like a holiday to me!

March 24, 2008 2:48 AM  
Blogger Lew Scannon said...

I was able to do my laundry unmolested because everybody else was out practicing nonsensical rituals. That and I have been watching some hawks that have decided to move into the woods around my place. This should be interesting when the geese get back.

March 24, 2008 3:22 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Now that sounds like a way to spend the day, very wonderful.

Tiramisu? Unhealthy. No not at all, not when part of day like that.

March 24, 2008 4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm feeling pretty envious right about now...PoP. Books, desserts, a day all to yourself. Yeah, that works.

March 24, 2008 4:59 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Sounds good to me.

March 24, 2008 5:18 AM  
Blogger FreakyNick said...

Your Easter sounds like perfect day (take out the tourists).

I hope you had nice cup of coffee to go with that tiramisu. A nice cognac would also do.

March 24, 2008 5:35 AM  
Blogger billie said...

my thought is- that traditions exist as an excuse to get together with friends and family. i have a feeling that for many- the religion is just something to sit through for an hour or so before the good stuff.

March 24, 2008 6:25 AM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

Perfect way to spend the day!

March 24, 2008 6:26 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

a perfect day.

March 24, 2008 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful weather in Houston.

Birded in the morning, golfed in the afternoon, grilled steaks for dinner.

The northern parula is back in town. Felt nice to break 80 for a change. Twice baked potatoes and french cut green beans and perhaps half a martini too many.

March 24, 2008 6:53 AM  
Blogger La Belette Rouge said...

We went out for Mexican food and then for ice cream and then to Barnes and Noble. I bought Pride and Predjudice, again, because reading it 5 times and seeing the movie(s) over 20 times is just not enough.

March 24, 2008 7:01 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Barrack Obama: did he make a packet outta that book? I heard he was cokenosing half the time... I dunno I've never seen a copy in this country. We're more into HILLARY HILLARY YEAH YEAH HILLARY this side of the Pond. I think most people, like me, wanna see Bill Clinton as America's 1st ladyboy hahaha!!!

March 24, 2008 8:10 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

What a glorious day, PoP! I didn't see dolphins, but I did see some wood ducks.

March 24, 2008 8:53 AM  
Blogger D.K. Raed said...

That sounds heavenly, PoP. We didn't do much, but enjoyed the sunny weather. Husband played some tennis in the AM. I groomed the dogs & listened to the neighborhood kids noisily hunting easter eggs & jumping on their trampolines while their parents yelled at them to be careful. No dolphins around here, unless they're hiding in the golf course lagoon!

March 24, 2008 3:20 PM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

Relaxing at Garnes and Noble with a good book a cup of coffee and good company is always a pleasure! The dolphins must have been a pleasure to see. My son in SC says they swim around you and bump into you scaring the hell out of you when surfing. I bet he'll appreciate it after the desert.

March 24, 2008 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home