Sunday, September 17, 2006

In His Memory

In May of this year I posted a story about my friend. Yesterday I learned that he passed away August 29. I will not cry about his death but I will always celebrate his life and all that he shared with me. Because of my acquaintance with him I know I am a better person in so many ways.

If you weren’t with me when I originally posted about my experiences with him you may read it here.

He shared so much music and literature with me over the precious few years that we were friends. In his memory, I want to repost my favorite of all the poems he shared with me.

Meeting and Passing by Robert Frost

As I went down the hill along the wall
There was a gate I had leaned at for the view
And had just turned from when I first saw you
As you came up the hill. We met. But all
We did that day was mingle great and small
Footprints in summer dust as if we drew
The figure of our being less that two
But more than one as yet. Your parasol

Pointed the decimal off with one deep thrust.
And all the time we talked you seemed to see
Something down there to smile at in the dust.
(Oh, it was without prejudice to me!)
Afterward I went past what you had passed
Before we met and you what I had passed.

16 Comments:

Blogger Frederick said...

Robert Frost always got it right. My condolences.

September 17, 2006 4:44 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Sorry for your loss, great poem selection, Robert Frost is one of my favorites.

September 17, 2006 5:21 AM  
Blogger Durward Discussion said...

Pop,

Condolences to you. In a life well lived the memories never die for those left behind.

September 17, 2006 5:58 AM  
Blogger COLORADO BOB said...

I always wanted to tell you I really like the banner across the top of your page... How'd you do that ?

September 17, 2006 6:29 AM  
Blogger BocaGuy said...

I'm sorry for your loss, my condolences.

September 17, 2006 6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and I am so glad you were able to share so much time with this remarkable man. Rest in Peace, Sir.

September 17, 2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Were there email in heaven, I do believe you'd have one right now that says "That's the way you should think about me, PoPs." The hurt and feeling of great loss is never completely gone; it's just made manageable by the healing salve of precious memories. My thoughts are with you.

September 17, 2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

That is so touching I loved the link to the post about him.
I recently lost a lovely older person who became my friend & was one of the most interesting people I've ever met. Her daughter & i keep in touch regularly to share memories of this wonderful lady.

September 17, 2006 10:44 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I remember your earlier post well. The poem is just as lovely this time around.

September 17, 2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger Sothis said...

PoP, I'm so sorry for your loss, please accept my condolences. Your story reminds me to always try to be gracious and show gratitude--because you chose that path and not the snap judgement, both your lives were enriched.

September 17, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

I'm so very sorry PoP..I know the feeling too well.

September 17, 2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger Blue said...

I love the post from May. So sorry to hear about your friend.

September 17, 2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

I just read the posting about your friend, and of course, about his passing.

I raise a toast to this gentleman's passing.

September 18, 2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

I am so sorry about your loss. My deepest condolences. Losing a friend to death hurts so much than almost anything. Not something you ever really get over because it always seems like they are still there, then you are reminded that they are not.

September 18, 2006 5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just recently lost both of my parents and dealing with the loss is still fresh in my memory. It was expected but yet somehow shocking. However, they both had a long and happy lifes and they just came to an end brought by the wear and tear of the years. This is what obviously was the case with your friend, too. I am so glad, that you both had each other and that you can enjoy your friend's contribution to your life as I am sure he did. Instead of selfishly crying about his departure, you have the wisdom to celebrate his life and the good times you shared. What a magnificent story! What a magnificent friendship!

September 19, 2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

So sorry for your loss....but the poem is lovely....

September 20, 2006 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home