Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Door to door spam

When I am here alone I seldom open the door when the bell rings. My rule is if I don’t know you or expect you I won’t open the front door to anyone.

Saturday, Mr. Pop was here working at the computer and the door bell rang. Since he was here I picked up Martini and opened the door. There was a man standing there, he was nicely dressed and he had an assortment of papers in his hand. He told me he had been doing a survey in our area and then he flashed a paper with what appeared to be a copy of some sort of postcard copied on it. He said, “Recently you or your husband received a card like this asking if you would like more information…” I said, no neither of us had filled out such a card asking for more information on anything. We know better than to do that and besides we don’t want more information on anything that comes in the mail.

After I stated politely that his information was wrong I politely shut the door. I know there are all sorts of spam on the internet but now it’s going door to door.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mauigirl said...

We get people like that in our neighborhood all the time; someone trying to sell something, or ask if you want work done in your yard, etc. And if you ever do hire one of the latter, he then shows up at all hours asking if you have more work for him and could he get a small advance on tomorrow's snow shoveling, etc. I don't answer the door anymore either.

February 16, 2011 2:34 PM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

I don't often answer the door either. The three barking dogs usually means the person at the door doesn't usually ring the bell more than once. I used to have a "no solicitors" sign on the door at another house.....didn't do a damn thing. Except that I could look at it, then slowly look at the door-knocker and raise my eyebrows. "OH! I'm so sorry, I didn't see that!" Sure you didn't cuz it is hung right above the door bell.

February 16, 2011 6:38 PM  
Blogger Sewmouse said...

Asking to see their peddler's license usually works for me.

If they get a funny look on their face and don't leave, I ask them to stay right there while I call the police.

They always leave. *sigh*

February 20, 2011 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home