Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Our Spooky Night

When Mr. Pop is away on a trip he always calls from wherever he is each night just to check on me and tell me he loves me. Monday night was no different. He was up in the panhandle of Florida and he called about seven o’clock to check in. I told him all was well and that the homestead was in good shape. We said our usual good night and I love you and hung up the phone.

Just as I hung up the phone I heard sirens and they seemed to stop near our street. In a few minutes a sheriff’s helicopter was circling our area with the search light on shining all around the neighborhood. About this time Martini began walking around in the living room growling. The phrase, Oh shit!, kept cruising around in my head.

I called Mr.Pop back and told him what was happening. At that point it was all so bizarre that I couldn’t help but laugh. Mr. Pop asked if the house was locked, even though he knew that it was. He said just stay inside and if anything should happen call 9-11. I was way ahead of him on that plan. I was keeping my phone with me as I entered every room. There was one thing we both thought of at the same time, Martini was going to have to be taken outside before I could call it a night and it was too early for that. So once again we said our goodnights and hung up.

Thankfully the helicopter stopped circling and things calmed down. At ten I took Martini out and everything was fine.

I have no idea what was going on. Nothing in the paper yesterday morning so I’m guessing it wasn’t much. The funny part was when I was telling Mr. Pop about the mystery Monday night he said, “Well at least you have your dog with you”. I said, “My dog doesn’t even weigh seven pounds and is less than eleven inches tall, what am I going to do if someone tries to hurt me, throw him at them?” Mr. Pop hesitated a moment and said, “Good point!”

4 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Oh my! I think that the tiny but powerful Martini will work as your protector, despite his diminutive size!

Glad all worked out well.

February 25, 2009 2:27 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

See, this is why you should always keep a few tactical nukes underneath the bed!

February 25, 2009 6:13 AM  
Blogger Fixer said...

You'd be surprised how tough little dogs can be when protecting their humans and territory. Don't count him out.

February 26, 2009 2:52 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

Glad it was apparently no big deal and you're all ok.

I'm sure both Fred and Martini would've hopped to your defense if needed. Cats and little dogs can be a fearsome duo.

February 26, 2009 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home