Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Oh, What a Year!

For me, the highlight of 2008 was hearing that Barack Obama would be our next president.

The lowlight of 2008 was having to make the decision to put my sweet Murphy to sleep. Still can’t talk about that.

The moment of highest anxiety was the night of November 4th as we awaited the election returns.

The best book I read this year was, “A Thousand Splendid Suns”, by Khaled Hosseini. This is the same author who wrote, “The Kite Runner”. I don’t think any other book emotionally affected me as this one did.

The most fun books I read this year were two by Matt Taibbi, “Smells Like Dead Elephants”, and “The Great Derangement”. Love this man’s style!

There is no best or worse movie for me this year since I did not see a single one.

One of the biggest disappointments of 2008 was the Dallas Cowboys…again and again and again, etc. I should be accustomed to it by now.

The source of the most amusement this year had to be, Sarah Palin and everything we learned about her. Okay, she was the source of some fear too.

The best part of this year has been every moment I have spent with Mr. Pop whether it was a time of laughing, crying or just his being there with me.

Finally, I want to thank every single person who feels that a visit to Morning Martini each day is worth their time and effort. I appreciate that with all my heart. There have been times this year when you guys were there for me, as all good friends are, and you can never know how much that meant to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Here’s to a New and Happier Year filled with love and much more tolerance for our fellow creatures on earth, both man and beast.

Fred the Cat will see you Friday with his usual catty attitude toward life.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

19 Comments:

Blogger Fixer said...

All the best to you and your family, POP. And by the way, you did the right thing for Murph and should have no regrets.

Happy New Year!

December 31, 2008 2:05 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

Best of everything to you and yours this coming year.

As someone who's had to make that choice about my precious kitty a few years ago, I can sympathize with your sorrow. I still feel mine like it was yesterday. But I know I helped end her pain, and that's what mattered.

Love you, Pop!

December 31, 2008 4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your world with us PoP. May you, Mr. PoP, and Fred enjoy a healthy, happy and prosperous 2009.

December 31, 2008 4:57 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

May 2009 be better than 2008. Except for the Dallas Cowboys. ;-)

December 31, 2008 5:55 AM  
Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Happy new year to you PoP. You help make the year bright and the madness bearable with your swell blog. Thanks for all you do.

December 31, 2008 6:13 AM  
Blogger Dr. Know said...

At least we can breath a bit easier knowing that Darth Cheney and his cretinous collection of caustic cronies are vacating the White House. Unfortunately, they will probably stay true to form and steal the fixtures on their way out - and then have no-bid contractors repair the damage at overbilled cost plus 25%.

Ain't murica great?

Happy New Year to you and yours.

December 31, 2008 6:27 AM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

Happy New Year!

December 31, 2008 6:30 AM  
Blogger Matthew Hubbard said...

Happy New Year to you, too, PoP, and of course to Mr. PoP and Fred. Like you, I'm kind of glad to see the last of 2008, and I have some hope that some things in 2009 are going to get better.

December 31, 2008 7:07 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Happy New Year to you, Mr. Pop and Fred. I'll be happy when the new year begins and in 20 days we watch Obama sworn in.

December 31, 2008 7:24 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Happy New Year PoP. Your daily contributions to the dialogue are a must. Come on 2009.

December 31, 2008 7:49 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

my very best wishes to you for the coming year.

as a chargers fan, i thoroughly sympathise with you and your cowboys. even though my chargers backdoored their way into the division title and the playoffs (ha ha ha ha ha ha!).

i must predict they will exit soon. most likely under the gun of peyton.

December 31, 2008 8:45 AM  
Blogger Sewmouse said...

Happy New Year, PoP, Mr. Pop, Fred!

As a Chicago Cubs fan, I feel your pain. After a while, however, you become numb to it and just keep recycling your "Wait Until Next Year" t-shirts.

December 31, 2008 9:34 AM  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

Great sum-up - I too loved "A Thousand Splendid Suns" which I read this year.

I understand about Murphy - I still can't think of our old dog Alice without tears myself after 3-1/2 years...

Hope you and the rest of the POP family have a wonderful 2009!

December 31, 2008 10:26 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

and to you and yours and sweet fred!

December 31, 2008 11:03 AM  
Blogger Sator Arepo said...

Best wishes, PoP. And Fred!

And: freaking Cowboys. Jebus. That sucked.

December 31, 2008 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you a wonderful 2009, PoP! I've enjoyed stopping by here each day.

All my best to you and yours,

Lisa

December 31, 2008 7:41 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

thanks for reminding me our Cowboys stink. now i'm typing through teary eyes :)

hope you and Mr PoP and Fred have a great year. I look forward to hanging around here more often in 09 (if you'll let me that is!)

January 01, 2009 6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Patricia,
I had no idea about Murphy and my heart goes out to you and Mr. Pop and Fred. I will read the books you enjoyed as I am sure I will like them too. I wish you and yours a splendid 2009, filled with world peace.

January 01, 2009 10:59 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

and a happier-than-last New Year backatcha PoP and Mr. PoP and Fred!

And while on the subject of books:
I've heard of two [ostensibly] childrens' books that I'm gonna get hold of this year:

[and no cracks about me and my second childhood! that's between my imaginary friend and me, ok? :) ]

The first book is "13 Clocks" and is, so I've heard, reminiscent of the Fractured Fairy Tales of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame. I used to _love_ those!

The second is "Previously" and tells the stories of what happened BEFORE Jack and Jill went up that hill; what happened BEFORE Goldlocks stole into the 3 Bears' house; what happened BEFORE Little Jack Horner stuck his thumb in the pie, etc. etc. etc.

If I had grandkids I'd sneak these in under the radar. But, I don't-- so I'll just have to admit that I like to escape using good kids' literature all for myself.
xxx
So, are you having ham and black-eyed peas today?

January 01, 2009 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home