Tuesday, July 10, 2007

BOOM!

That’s what we heard here yesterday morning at five o’clock. Just one really loud and big, BOOM! That’ll wake you out of a sound sleep and fast. Mr. Pop and I jumped up like we had been popped out of a toaster. In unison we said, “WTF was that?”

Seems a transformer had blown up down the street and all the electric on our block was out. I grabbed the flashlight and found my cell phone. In a haze of just waking up, I called and reported the outage to a recording at the electric company. The recording said I could expect the electric to be back on by nine in the morning. Bummer!

No coffee, no TV news, no computer, no nothing but darkness. Because Mr. Pop was about to leave on a weeklong business trip, I was already in a mild state of anxiety. Now sitting in the dark, that state of anxiety went from mild to a full blown anxiety attack. I hate it when that happens. I get all nervous, find breathing difficult and I can’t sit still.

I turned on one of the battery powered lamps we have for hurricane season and tried to read the newspaper. I had plenty of light but no way in hell could I concentrate on what I was reading. By the way, an ice cold Coke isn’t the same as a hot cup of coffee at five in the morning.

Mr. Pop got ready for his trip and took off about six thirty. I know he felt bad leaving me for a whole week to do all the household chores and now he was also leaving me in the dark.

After he left I went out on the patio and sat and watched the sun come up. Just, Fred the Cat, some early birds at the feeder and me. I realized that was the first time in a very long time that Fred the Cat and I had shared a sunrise together with only the sounds of his purring and the birds chattering in the background.

Sometime before the electric came back on at seven thirty, I realized something. My anxiety had faded away with the rising sun and the serenity of a quiet morning, a morning that began with a BOOM!

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to live next to a transformer, and they had a problem with squirrels climbing inside and blowing it up. I remember one day when my kids were over, and saw a bright blue flash and heard that boom. Funny thing was, we had power, but everyone on the other side of the transformer didn't.

July 10, 2007 2:56 AM  
Blogger Undeniable Liberal said...

Ah yes, the serenity of a sunrise...that sounds relaxing.

July 10, 2007 3:56 AM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

You would think that they would make those things squirrel-proof, but I guess nothing is.

I'm like you. I need my hot coffee in the morning.

July 10, 2007 4:46 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

The next time something like this happens, just remember you have the sunrise to look forward to.

July 10, 2007 5:26 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

I know how that is, the loud boom and jumping to your feet in one swoop. When one went by my house, my first thought was that McDill AFB had blown. My neighbors met me in the dark yard and we all stood about in our nightclothes working it all out.

July 10, 2007 5:53 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

There's nothing like the loss of power. When it goes out here, we feel lost.:)

July 10, 2007 6:10 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Sometimes it takes something like that to remind you how much the simple things really mean.

July 10, 2007 6:55 AM  
Blogger FreakyNick said...

When my electricity goes out, it's kind of relaxing for me. You start to notice how quiet your home becomes when all the powered devices aren't churning.

It's peaceful.

July 10, 2007 7:07 AM  
Blogger Sparky Duck said...

I tend to get alot done when I wake up early, though a coke would work, nothing is like a good cup of coffee. Now if you had to suffer long without AC I would have felt very sorry for you

July 10, 2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I watched a transformer blow one night during a very big rainstorm in Santa Cruz. The sound was amazing and so was the light show. We were without power for 3 days after that one. Bummer. It would be hard to face that alone, so I'm glad that your power came back as quickly as it did. It's amazing what you can cook on a propane single burner. Coffee, and anything else you might want.

July 10, 2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger Aaron A. said...

The same thing happened to us last week.

Coincidence? Or Terrorism?...hmmm:)

July 10, 2007 10:04 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Thank Goodness it was just a transformer....

July 10, 2007 10:26 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Hey POP, something similar happened to me and my daughter last week

July 10, 2007 11:46 AM  
Blogger LET'S TALK said...

Sorry to hear about your transformer. I onse had that problem and the darkness is just mind blowing.

It's good you and Fred the cat relaxed and enjoyed mother nature.

Makes you wonder if old Fred the cat will have something to say about things this Friday.

Be safe and careful there by yourself

July 10, 2007 3:24 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

Sounds liike you made lemonade and it was sweet!

July 10, 2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

Glad things are back to normal!

July 10, 2007 6:55 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

A good morning sunrise, absorbing in all of mother nature, is a really relaxing, pleasant way to start the day. Glad your nightmare turned out to be not so bad.

July 10, 2007 8:25 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

We are so reliant on 'things', aren't we? Truth is that we don't really need most of the 'things' we have.

Simple non-material things are what's important.

July 10, 2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

At least Fred was there. Isn't it amazing how quiet the house becomes without power coursing through it's veins.

July 11, 2007 7:26 AM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Patricia,
I am so glad you had the chance to watch the sunrise with Fred. It sometimes takes a thing like "no choice" to force us to choose something really nice, like a purring cat and a sunrise. Mr. Tutt never travels without me (he never travels!) except for the occasional visit to his family, but when he leaves I fall to pieces. I can travel all over the place all by myself and feel fine, but I get in a panic when he leaves the house for even a short trip.

July 11, 2007 7:52 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Fred saved the day I see!

July 11, 2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger Batocchio said...

One went off at an intersection where my car was stopped at a red light during a storm. At first I thought it was a lightning strike, it was so loud.

July 11, 2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:33 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:33 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:33 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:34 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:34 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:34 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:34 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2007 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home