Friday, July 06, 2007

Mr. Pop had a “Forrest Gump” Moment and I’m letting the cat out of the bag


While I was away at camp and the Pops were on vacation, a funny thing happened.

Let me give you a little back ground before I tell you about Mr. Pop’s “Forrest Gump” moment.

Mr. Pop enjoys reading books written by Randy Wayne White. Mr. White has an ownership interest in a restaurant on Sanibel Island, where they vacationed a couple of weeks ago. Occasionally Mr. White comes into the restaurant and signs books for the patrons. While they were on vacation, the Pops ate at this restaurant several times because the say the food is dee-lish!

During one of those times, as they were having dinner, Ms Pop looked up and said to Mr. Pop, “Isn’t that Randy Wayne White over there?” Mr. Pop took a look and agreed that it was. At Ms Pop’s urging, Mr. Pop grabbed one of Mr. White’s latest books, “Hunter’s Moon” and went over to get Mr. White’s signature.

Ms. Pop continued to eat her dinner. After some minutes had passed she looked over to where Mr. Pop and Mr. White were standing. All sorts of people were coming up to Mr. Pop and smiling and shaking hands with him. Ms Pop thought, WTF?

A few more minutes passed and still Mr. Pop was being approached by smiling happy strangers who were going out of their way to introduce themselves and shake his hand.

Finally Mr. Pop returned to the table where Ms Pop was waiting. Mr. Pop was laughing like crazy. Seems a big group of local people were having a dinner meeting in the restaurant that night and for some reason they had mistaken Mr. Pop for the husband of some highly influential, local, political woman there in the area. Oops! These people were shaking hands with a great guy, just not the one they thought they were.

It was when the major owner of the restaurant came to shake hands with Mr. Pop and he asked him about his wife, Mrs. Somebody, that Mr. Pop realized what was going on. This had been a case of mistaken identity but it was kinda funny too, especially to Ms Pop.

Now the Pops are referring to this as Mr. Pop’s “Forrest Gump” moment. He just happened to be at the right place at the right time but not the right person.

Crazy human beings strike again!

Have a great weekend, stay cool and have as much legal fun as you can.

Sincerely,
Fred the Cat (the cat who loves you guys)

27 Comments:

Blogger FreakyNick said...

Fred, Great story. I think my whole life is made up of "Forest Gump", just happene to be in the right place, coincedinces.

When I go with the flow of what the universe has in store for me, only good things happen. When I try to achieve goals and make things happens, I fail miserably. I'm just waiting around for the next "bump" in the road to send me on the next phase of this journey.

July 06, 2007 5:25 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Ahhhhaaaa! That's a great one. I won't forget that story for a long time and I'll bet you'll remember it always.

July 06, 2007 5:32 AM  
Blogger JM said...

Sounds like a better mistaken identity experience than the one I had. I was living in a small town and the local paper published all the police blotters, etc for lack of anything else to print. One day they put a police artists sketch of a bank robber on the front page, which unfortunately looked like I had posed for the sketch. I can't tell you how many concerned phone calls I received asking me if everything was OK. Nice to know your friends think you could do something like that!

July 06, 2007 5:44 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

I hope he didn't sign to many books while he was there.

July 06, 2007 5:48 AM  
Blogger LET'S TALK said...

Nice story Fred, you all take care and have a good safe weekend.

July 06, 2007 6:07 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Funny story!
I enjoy those books too! Even better are the mojitos they serve at that restaurant.

July 06, 2007 7:06 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

great story fred, bet the POP"S were recounting it over and over again. poor Mr POP celebrity is such a fleeting thing

July 06, 2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger pogo said...

I hope the local newspaper snapped a photo and ran it the next day. LOL

July 06, 2007 8:22 AM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Mommanator,
That is hilarious, "celebrity is such a fleeting thing." Now Fred, was that really Randy Wayne White? If so, he must have been really confused to have the guy getting the book signed be the one to get all the attention.

Fred,
I have tagged you to tell us 8 random things about yourself.

July 06, 2007 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haven't said hello in a while...

hello

missed friday's with fred

July 06, 2007 10:10 AM  
Blogger Michael Bains said...

Yah, but did he get the signature???

{-;

July 06, 2007 12:31 PM  
Blogger Woody Tobias, Jr. said...

'skuze me. you have been TAGGED and I mean paTRIcia not FRED.

July 06, 2007 12:35 PM  
Blogger PoliShifter said...

Interesting story. Did Mr. Pop come clean? Did it get awkward?

July 06, 2007 1:04 PM  
Blogger Suzie-Q (S-Q) said...

Wonderful story! :)

July 06, 2007 4:09 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Fred...you are a closeted reader aren't you?! I knew it...you are just too smart for your paws!

July 07, 2007 1:13 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

That happens to me all the time in restaurants. I get mistaken for George W. Bush and people keep beating me with forks and spoons and throwing eggs in my face.

July 07, 2007 6:45 AM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

Hope he enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame. Sometimes being mistaken for a person is better than BEING the person.

July 07, 2007 7:24 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Thanks Fred. I'm so glad you let me out of that bag! ;-)

Now, Is Mr. PoP going to run for public office? Will Ms. PoP let him?

July 07, 2007 8:27 AM  
Blogger C-dell said...

ha, great story one to look back on and laugh

July 07, 2007 9:28 AM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Fred,
I tagged you to tell us 8 random things about yourself.

July 07, 2007 10:47 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Patricia:

Lydia Cornell has tagged you and your blog. Go to Lydia's blog for further details.

Congrats.

Lydia Cornell

July 07, 2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

What a crazy, but fun experience.

Even better he played along! ; )

July 08, 2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Great story Fred! I too have had things like that happen to me. But one time, it was not so great.

July 08, 2007 7:43 AM  
Blogger WeezieLou said...

great story!! i was mistaken for julia roberts, until people saw me within 15 feet.............fred, what abt the 8 things list? even i did it, and i generally don't do tags...

July 08, 2007 8:01 AM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

May I have your autograph?

No, not you! Ms Pop!

July 08, 2007 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I have your autograph?

Ooooh! Me too. I love stories like that.

July 08, 2007 7:08 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

What a fun meal that was. Think how mad the doppleganger's wife will be when people begin telling her they saw her husband dining with a mysterious beautiful woman at the restaurant.
That guy's going to have some explaining to do.

July 09, 2007 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home