Monday, February 05, 2007

Anxiety and Tornados

We awoke last Friday morning to the awful and frightening news of what had transpired north of us due to the tornados. On the weather radar there was a ugly red line of storms and they were headed our way.

Since the hurricanes literally blew through our home a couple of years ago, I have had a little problem with weather anxiety. Any strong storm will get my heart fluttering, the perspiration going and my hands all shaky. This has ebbed a lot as the months rolled by, but it came back with a vengeance Friday after Mr. Pop left for work.

The line of storms moved slowly toward us. Mentally I felt as though I was freaking out as I watched the coverage of the damage in central Florida. As the storms got closer and closer I got more and more afraid. It got to the point that I began to cry. Not a good sign.. I called Mr. Pop and asked him if he might come home for an hour or so until the scary stuff passed. He said sure and within a half hour he was here. Whew!

He did some work here at the computer and I started to relax. Just knowing he was here with me was better than the finest medicine for what was ailing me. The storm lines seemed to be dying out now as they came within miles of us. A little after noon I told him that I thought I could handle things if he wanted to go back to the lab. The weather didn’t look as ominous as it had earlier on the weather channel.

He packed up his stuff, kissed me, told me he loved me and out the door he went. He stopped before he got to his truck, turned around and told me to call him if I needed him. I thanked him and went inside and closed the door. I walked into the kitchen and heard on the TV that our county was under a “Tornado Warning”. I just stared at the TV for a second. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I called Mr. Pop on his cell and told him what I had heard. He asked me if I wanted him to turn around and come back home. I hesitated for a tiny second and said, “No, I’m gonna handle this.” As it turned out the storm cell that might have produced the tornado didn’t materialize into anything more than a heavy storm and it missed us completely.

I’m kind of proud of myself for not calling him back home. Maybe I can overcome this reasonable or unreasonable fear of storms after all.

Our attention now turns to people we know in the Daytona area. So far they all seem to be okay and that’s fantastic news. My heart absolutely breaks for those who weren’t so fortunate. Mother Nature showed us Friday that she isn’t particular when she wants to show her wrath.

23 Comments:

Blogger Lew Scannon said...

Weather is the one thing in our lives we have no control over, that's not so easy to predict, which is why your local weather reports come with qualifiers such as "chance of" or "probabilities of". I find it interesting that these acts of God always strike hardest at the red states.

February 05, 2007 2:57 AM  
Blogger Undeniable Liberal said...

I have been wondering how you were doing and concerned after hearing the news about the weather down there. Damn glad to hear that you came through it alright.

February 05, 2007 3:51 AM  
Blogger Undeniable Liberal said...

I have been wondering how you were doing and concerned after hearing the news about the weather down there. Damn glad to hear that you came through it alright.
Lew and I are dealing with sub-zero temps here in Michigan, a cakewalk compared to what you are experiencing.

February 05, 2007 4:04 AM  
Blogger Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

I'm glad the tornados missed you. And I'm glad you have Mr. PoP. He sounds like an excellent mate.

February 05, 2007 4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're OK. Take care
Zelda Parker

February 05, 2007 4:34 AM  
Blogger Omnipotent Poobah said...

"Nature showed us Friday that she isn’t particular when she wants to show her wrath."

And Mr. Pop showed what it's like to love someone.

Excellent post.

February 05, 2007 5:45 AM  
Blogger Jim Yeager said...

When it comes to natural disasters, I've been more than a little skittish about hurricanes since Isabel tore up Virginia in 2003. Don't care much for tornadoes, either.

I'm glad you're okay...

February 05, 2007 6:07 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Thank Goodness you're ok! (and I wouldn't call you a scardy cat for being concerned either - I'm not about to move anyplace that has the least chance of a tornado)

February 05, 2007 6:43 AM  
Blogger Blue said...

Sounds like a VERY reasonable fear to me, Pop! And Mr. Pop is a sweetheart for coming home to keep you company!

I was thinking about you & some relatives in that area...so glad you made it through intact!!

February 05, 2007 7:10 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

It's nice that Mr Pop is close enough to come home (and willing) when you feel you need some support. Most of the time I am half a continent or even half a world away as I was when the tornadoes took out part of my neighborhood last year.

February 05, 2007 7:20 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

How good of Mr PoP to come home and be there with you for that emotional support. And how especially great that you faced the second line of storms alone. I remember after the big earthquake of 1989 in Santa Cruz (it was a 7.1), even a truck rattling by felt like a mini quake and my heart would start racing. It took a while to face those fears. One thing I noticed is that once I had a plan (emergency supplies and an idea of how to proceed), I felt much better. Earthquake preparedness really helped to alleviate most of my concerns. Do you have hurricane and big storm preparations?

February 05, 2007 7:57 AM  
Blogger Pogo said...

Hey, I'm just glad you and Mr. P are good. Kind of puts all the other trivial shit we worry about in perspective, no?

February 05, 2007 8:13 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I'm glad it avoided you! Sounds like you found a winner with mr p! Hope the sun shines down soon!

February 05, 2007 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness - Tornado Storms are scary for their unpredictablity! But having said that I've never experienced such a scare as you describe...and my kids think it's weird that I can be so calm in extreme storm conditions. But with our western views and open spaces it's hard for weather to *sneak up* on us and you can see storms from miles away.

:-)

February 05, 2007 8:50 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

Good to hear you escaped Mother Natures wrath, things like this make us all appreciate what we have.

February 05, 2007 10:13 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

i admit to many similar fears about destructive weather and acts of nature. like robin, i was in the 89 quake in santa cruz. for many weeks, my kids would bolt for the door during the countless aftershocks.
at the same time, i have incredible respect for the earth's ability to remind us who is REALLY in control.
be well and take care, p0p.

February 05, 2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger Beach Bum said...

Lived in north Texas for awhile as a kid and had several restless nights as bad thunderstorms moved through the area with weather guys and gals having cows on TV about funnels clouds being seen as lightning flashed. Some nights our only warning was when the tornado sirens went off which if I remember right meant a twister had touched down. At that time I thought it couldn't get any worse listening to those horns and wondering if we were in the path of a twister but for the folks your way it surely did.

February 05, 2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Kudos for Mr. Pop. I like his style!

After moving to In from SF, I must admit, earthquakes scare me less than these Tornadoes do. ; (

February 05, 2007 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are Okay- Tornadoes in Winter in Florida ?? I don't remember such things...It would un- nerve Anyone...I think Florida has been really hit hard this year...I think you were very brave through all of that....(I don't think I would have been so brave)....Stay safe, warm and dry....

February 05, 2007 1:05 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

Glad you are okay and that you conquered your storm anxiety. Stay safe.

February 05, 2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

Glad you are okay and that you conquered your storm anxiety. Stay safe.

February 05, 2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

You had good reason to be afraid. I've been through three tornado's, all while in Michigan, and I'll take hurricanes anytime! At least you have time to run to a safe place. As you overcome your fear, also check your house and immediate area for the best "hiding" places in the event a Tornado ever does touch down.

February 06, 2007 1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mother nature can be even more frightening than George Bush, and just as arbitrary when it comes to inflicting suffering and death.

February 07, 2007 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home