Friday, December 15, 2006

Friday Story time with Fred the Cat



Fred the Cat here and I’m proving it is the season of brotherly love. Today I’m posting a story about that little white dog in the picture. That’s Murphy, my adopted brother. Most people think of cats and dogs as each others worst enemy. That may be so in some homes, but not this one. This little guy gets along with everyone and everything. So today this cat is going to post Pop’s story about this sweet little dog.

One Little Dog and Christmas

We adopted Murphy about 14 years ago from a local humane society. He’s a full-blooded Bichon who, before meeting Mr. Pop and me, had evidently led a pretty stressful life. A driver witnessed someone tossing him from a pickup truck on I-95. That driver scooped him up and carried him to the shelter. Luckily he had no serious injuries. The local TV stations filmed him and then showed him on their local news hours. No one came to claim him.

At the time, Mr. Pop and I had recently had to love our previous little dog enough to let her go, as she was suffering from old age. After seeing this ragged little white homeless dog on TV, I called to ask if I might adopt him. My name was added to the list of others who also wanted to open their hearts and homes to him.

Weeks went by and then one day a woman from the humane society came to the place where I was working. She had a little, still ragged looking, almost white dog in tow on a leash. She led him to me and asked if I wanted to do a “test run” with him over the weekend to see if he would work out in my home.

I led him to my desk and tied his leash to my desk chair. All day he looked up at me with his big brown eyes and soft expression. I would pet him and talk to him. We were getting acquainted.

That night I drove him home and quickly gave him a shampoo. Wow, what a difference some dog soap and water can make. He stood there in the bathtub and became a swan. Murphy had a new home.

Okay sure, he chewed up one of Mr. Pop’s sandals, but other than that he was a true little gentleman and just as loveable as any little dog could be.

As the years went by and I became a fulltime spoiler of Murphy we discovered that he loved little plush pink pig toys. He loved chewing off their ears, removing their felt eyes and having fun with them. I must tell you there were some pitiful looking pigs in Murphy’s toy basket. Little veterans of Murphy’s eye removal and ear removal campaign.

Each time we went near the pet store a new pink pig accompanied us home. Murphy came to embrace the idea of a new pink pig as a grand occasion, and so did we.

One Christmas six years ago I had purchased a new pink pig to give Murphy for Christmas. I wrapped it in white tissue paper and placed it among the other gifts under the Christmas tree. A couple of days later I was in the kitchen cleaning up when I heard some noises in the living room. I peeked around the corner just in time to see Murphy finish unwrapping his gift and pulling the pink pig from the torn paper. He grabbed the pig in his mouth and came running to me as if to say, “Hey, look what I found!"

From that Christmas on I learned to never put Murphy’s presents under the tree before Christmas morning. The guy is just too impatient to wait for the grand unwrapping day.

I tell you this now because a few minutes ago I heard a strange noise in our spare bedroom. I sneaked around the corner and there was Murphy sniffing the pile of bags of presents that are waiting to be wrapped. He was sticking his nose in every bag and sniffing for his present. Ha! I caught him before he spoiled his Christmas this year.

Murphy is getting on up there in age and he has lost his hearing, but even this old dog hasn’t forgotten his Christmas trick. And thank goodness we will have at least one more Christmas morning with the gift of watching that once ragged, now professionally groomed, little white dog have a great time ripping the hell out of white tissue paper in his search for another new plush pink pig.

39 Comments:

Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I wish the rest of America understood Christmas as well as Fred and You do..(:

Btw...does Fred have a Christmas list? Just wondering. Blackie wants Tuna in every room, Tiger wants her very own catnip in every room, and Snowball...well, Snowball wants to own every room, I think!:)

December 15, 2006 1:48 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

You and your family are awfully lucky.

December 15, 2006 3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murphy sure is precious, PoP. When I saw the photo, I thought he was one of the toys, maybe a stuffed toy polar bear cub or harp seal.

I made the mistake one year of wrapping a new catnip toy for my cats and putting it under the tree. Similar results to Murphy's pink pigs. The next year, I put the toy in a kitty stocking. The following morning, the stocking was on the floor, ravished, and catnip was everywhere. Now I wait until Christmas day to put catnip toys in their stocking.

December 15, 2006 5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww so cute. I want a dog so bad, but my living situation doesn't allow for it now. The minute that changes, I'm finding a dog!

December 15, 2006 5:30 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Murphy and his pink pigs remind of the adventures with Christmas presents and our two beagles. They too are gone from old age but for many years the challenge of keeping their keen noses from finding and opening presents of food and fun was a big part of our family's Christmas tradition. It even got to the point that friends would try to wrap presents of food in way to try and fool the dogs. It never worked. We have lost more than one box of Whitman's chocolates to the beagles over the years not to mention Hickory Farms and Harry and David.

December 15, 2006 5:49 AM  
Blogger JM said...

A nice story; Murphy is lucky to have the loving home he does. I had to laugh when I read about his habit of scoping out presents; the wife brought home a package from a co-worker yesterday and we didn't realize that it included a gift for the dog. But her (the dog's) tenacious insistence on checking out the gift bag soon had us discovering the doggie gift package!

December 15, 2006 5:59 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Awwww! Love the photos and the story. We will all celebrate furry little piggy toys today.

December 15, 2006 6:14 AM  
Blogger Pogo said...

Fred, I'm sure PoP & Mr.PoP share your affection for Murphy. Being a dog lover like yourself, I hope the Murph gives you another good year before you have to break another one in.

December 15, 2006 6:50 AM  
Blogger PoliShifter said...

Merry Christmas to Fred and Murphy!

Enjoy that pink pig Murphy

December 15, 2006 9:14 AM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

That Murphy, he's as smart as my little Frankie doggie. Frankie is a mess right now, the Christmas tree stares at him all day but bears no fruit. We let him unwrap his presents on Christmas Eve because the suspense is too dreadful for him. He is a big sniffer like Murphy. God forbid we took him to a wedding shower once and he tried to open all the bride's presents!

December 15, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger DivaJood said...

Fred, you are a good friend to Murphy to post this story about him. Hey, maybe I should have tagged YOU instead of POP for the Page 123 Book Meme?

Murphy reminds me of my late dog, Bones. Bones was also an abused dog, she'd been brought to the shelter emaciated, and furless - really skin and bones. She'd been beaten excessively and had scars on her face and body. I sat with her at the shelter for two hours, where she just cowered under my legs - I was the only person who wanted her, and she wasn't letting me out of her sight.

But I had to wait a week, to see if the owner claimed her. Ugh. He didn't and I got her a week later, still covered in mud, still a mess - she'd been too afraid for them to bathe her. I took her to the Vet, they gave her shots and a bath, and she came home to me. Over the years I had her, she got fat and sassy, and developed a beautiful black & tan coat - part doberman, part rottweiler, she had floppy ears and a tongue that almost dragged on the ground, and instead of legs, she had springs that made her quite bouncy.

Anyway, long story short: Shelter dogs are the best. They are the most loving dogs on earth.

December 15, 2006 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Fred,

I never knew about Murphy. As much as you are cute, Murphy is too. He's soooo cute! You boys play nicely and they'll be a bone in it for you.

Happy Chanukah!

X,O
AG

December 15, 2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger missmagnoliathunderpussy said...

Fred, darling, that's the nicest Christmas story I've heard in a long time, the both of you are so lucky to have such a wonderfull family and Miss Patricia and Pop are lucky to have the both of you.

Had my tear ducts not been removed during last years cosmetic surgery, your story would bring a tear to the eye of this jaded old broad.

December 15, 2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger agreenearth said...

What a wonderful little dog, and a great Christmas tale. Have a wonderful Christmas, best wishes, The Artist

December 15, 2006 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, what a great story! My parents adopted a little stray Bichon many years ago, they adored that dog. My Murphy says Merry Christmas to your Murphy. Mine isn't allowed to have stuffed animals, because the glee and determination with which he disembowels them kinda creeps me out. I wish he settled for ripping their faces off, but no, he isn't done until it is really and truly dead.

December 15, 2006 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a darlin...and I bet Fred is the mischief maker of the two.

Hope he get's his holiday *wish* of another pink pig under the tree!

(Poe and Sami have their eye on a real-life-like squirrel from Santa this year!)

December 15, 2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger Joseph Edward Ryan said...

What a sweet Christmas tale :-) I can imagine that he will be one happy little pup this year!

December 15, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger FreakyNick said...

Fred, you always have the best stories.

December 15, 2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

He looks like a little snowman! Too darned cute.

December 15, 2006 6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fred, Sammy here out doing some prowling and see if any action is going on out there. The man, put his feet up and is resting, so it is my time to play.

Great story, we have cockapoo as a quest at our home also. It was runt, and had a deformed mouth, but the man liked her, and brought her home. She is 8 years old and was justat the vet yesterday for dental work and had a tooth pulled.

See ya next Friday..........purrr...

King Sammy..........

December 15, 2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Fred, you rock!

- Baby Mackie

December 15, 2006 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

POP, you have an ability to tug heart strings where they are least expected to exsist - my chest. Incidently, Bichon just happens to be the dog in my near future.

December 15, 2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Fred, you are one talented cat! Can't wait till next weeks story! Hope Santa leaves you and your family something extra special!

December 16, 2006 7:26 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Merry Christmas Fred.

And to Murphy and his family as well (if I don't get back here before then).

December 16, 2006 9:23 AM  
Blogger FreakyNick said...

Oh Fred, give POP a message for me.

You've been Tagged

December 16, 2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger Gort said...

Well Fred, you describe a very happy family. Up here the ridiculous retriever and the little fat cat have made peace. The competition between them is funny.

December 16, 2006 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. You have a lovely family, and Murphy is just my kind of dog. And I hope he has the best X-mas ever!!

December 16, 2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger beepbeepitsme said...

You have some great stories. I luvs em.

December 16, 2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger Anon-Paranoid said...

Hey PoP....

I just tried to register with typepad and it would not register me. I entered all the information on the site like this
Name: anon-paranoid
Display name: anon-paranoid
Password:
Confirm Password:

and then the personal information ask and my email addy. Then I entered the code letters it showed and it broght me back to the registration page saying I entered the wrong code.

I'm not sure if I already had a typepad key account or not and if I did it would have information different than what I use here and at Craigs site. I do know that I never received a email confirmation and then tried a second time to register and it said my email was already being used. I then went to the help site and left a message.

I will wait and see if they get back too me. I also said in that help page message that I was a long time commenter at Craigs and I would ask one of the regular commenters to let Craig know of the trouble I had. Would you please let him know?

Thank you and God Bless.

December 16, 2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

That's a great story, Fred. Thank you!

December 16, 2006 7:33 PM  
Blogger Anon-Paranoid said...

Pop...

It seems that typekey finally sent me an email, but wouldn't let me activate. I sent Craig two emails before I got the one from typekey.

Also I was finally able to post over there. Just wanted too let you know.

Take care and God Bless.

December 16, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Blue said...

What a wonderful story! Stella and I are so happy that Murphy found the loving PoP family! Stella would like to add that she thinks she is in love with that adorable white fluffy face! She also shares a love for all things piggy. We call her favorite squeak-toy "piggy-girl". It has a very LOUD squeak, so she carries it around in her mouth very gently. I suspect she thinks she is hurting Piggy-Girl when she makes a loud squeak!

Thanks for this wonderful story!

December 17, 2006 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pssst! Fred! Can you let PoP know I visited Buccaneer Heaven yesterday and did not see the shirt we discussed earlier? Many thanks!

December 17, 2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger KMP50 said...

Fred, my kitten, Princess Woodgie, and I both wish you the happiest of Christmases and thank you for the wonderful stories. We were introduced, so to speak, by Elayne Riggs, who has two lovely cats of her own. They don't tell stories though. Thanks again for some wonderful stories.

December 17, 2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Gracie said...

I echo the others, Fred tells a wonderful story. It's been a real treat reading this after some of the news stories earlier today. Thanks for sharing, Fred.

December 17, 2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

What a wonderful story! I love it! It's so nice to hear when abused/neglected animals finally find the right home for themselves.

By the way... LOOOOVE the name of your site! Jealous I never thought of it.

December 18, 2006 2:36 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Thanks Fred...so sweet a story...just loved it. Pigs have a special meaning now. Be sure to get the movie when it comes out for Murphy..."Charlotte's Web" he'll love it.

December 18, 2006 3:00 AM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

I tried commenting on this before, but Blogger ate it! I just wanted to tell Murphy how cute he looks! Those snowmen ain't got nuthin' on him!

December 19, 2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

I tried commenting on this before, but Blogger ate it! I just wanted to tell Murphy how cute he looks! Those snowmen ain't got nuthin' on him!

December 19, 2006 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home