Friday, November 17, 2006

Friday with Fred the Cat


Fred the Cat here. Wanna know a little secret? Of course you do. I have a lady friend. She is a wild woman, in that no human can get too close to her. She and her siblings were born in the woods nearby just before Hurricane Frances hit here in 2004. They lived through that hurricane and the next two. She says it was scary but they made it.

As time went by all of her family (the Hurricats) moved on, except her brother who passed away. No one knows what happened to him, but Mr. Pop found him laying in the yard. He was very sick He was almost dead, so Mr. Pop put him on a towel in a little box and softly petted him during his last breaths. Mr. Pop is a true animal lover and that little cat received a proper burial, complete with human tears.

My friend had one sister, who her highness used to call Daisy. Daisy decided to move away too. This little lady who remained looked just like Daisy. Mr. Pop used to get them confused, so her highness named this one, Not Daisy or ND for short. ND didn’t sound right so they added the name, Anna. My friend’s name is ND-Anna. Cute, huh?

So ND-Anna and I are screen friends. She comes to the back door every morning and waits for her food. While she waits, we catch up on things and rub noises through the screen. Since I’ve had all my shots, I don’t worry about catching anything from her.

ND-Anna thinks she can never trust humans enough to allow them too close to her. I try to explain the treasures of allowing that trust, but she just can’t be convinced. Maybe one day I’ll win her over. She says she has made it through three hurricanes, losing her family and close calls in the wild. She says she needs no humans. That’s when I remind her that she has depended on the Pops for food every single day or her life. This is about the time she just sniffs at me and prances off to who knows where. She sure is one hard headed cat, but I love her anyway.

I guess we each have to make our own decisions about what we do in our life. Her decision may not seem right to me, but perhaps she knows something about herself that I don’t. So I’m not going to judge her or her decisions. I’m just going to enjoy her friendship and remind myself that what’s right for me might not be right for every other cat. The thing that makes each of us so special is that we are not all alike.

***
Have a great weekend everyone! We have a big day next week. I get to go back and visit the evil doers at the veterinarian’s office. Ha! I bet they are already dreading my vicious return. Oh, and tomorrow I may post a photo of ND-Anna, the last of the Hurricats. Check and see.

22 Comments:

Blogger missmagnoliathunderpussy said...

Fred darling, that's a wonderful story, I'll eagerly await the photo of your special friend. I'm sure that one day she'll come around and move in, she's probably a nice girl and is waiting for a ring and proposal, who can blame her.

November 17, 2006 4:47 AM  
Blogger BBC said...

Sweet

November 17, 2006 5:17 AM  
Blogger Rainbow Demon said...

A great and beautiful story, POP...
Fred's so cute.

Peace,
=RD=

November 17, 2006 5:50 AM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Fred, I must say that your command of the English language is amazing. All those years in Secret Agent training have obviously paid off!

November 17, 2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

You are a generous soul, Fred. But ND will probably never be totally comfortable with humans. Given what we know, she may have the right idea. Just enjoy the moments you have with her, and make sure POP keeps giving her food.

November 17, 2006 7:18 AM  
Blogger Jim Yeager said...

Can't say I blame ND-Anna for distruting humans, Fred. We mockers have a lot of trouble trusting those uppity primate bastids ourselves. Not that we've written them off entirely. We just don't know what on earth to do with them sometimes.

I guess you and I have to deal with them one at a time. There doesn't seem to be a comparably viable alternative...

November 17, 2006 8:16 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Hey Fred...Nice that you have a friend like ND-Anna and it also nice that PoP looks out for her. She probably has a very good reason for distrusting humans even ones that are nice to her. Like you said, just be friends and maybe she will change her mind about some humans.

November 17, 2006 8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya gotta love Fred Fridays.

November 17, 2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Awww, pretty kitty.

November 17, 2006 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad what has happened to so many animals after hurricanes. I guess since we cant even manage to rescue people, there is little hope we will be responsive to pets.

Catblogging is catching on for Fridays. Good day for you to take over.

November 17, 2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Love the pic! Have a great weekend yourself!

Peace.

November 17, 2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger JBlue said...

My humans say they may bring home a companion for me tomorrow. I could use a cat friend, you see. I think it would calm my nerves somewhat. Wish me luck!

Jango Catt

November 17, 2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Rico the suave cat here in Seattle sneds greetings to Fred, although I kind of doubt that in real time they'd get along very well. You know how old bachelors can get...

November 17, 2006 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just spent the better part of the afternoon outside petting the cats we inherited when we bought this place. Great companions.
TGIF. Have a fun weekend.

November 17, 2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

How sad is it that a cat is living more interesting life than me?

Hang in there Fred -- true love waits and have a lovely weekend yourself.

November 17, 2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger Blue said...

What an awesome story, Fred! You never know, ND-Anna might come around. My human managed to win over Little Bit, the most skittish cat in the world, after months & months of feeding him and being rejected by him. And now, we have been one big happy family for 14 years!
See you next week,
Stella

November 18, 2006 6:25 AM  
Blogger FreakyNick said...

Fred, your posts are always the best.

I understand and I can relate to the female problems. They all can be hard headed at times. sometimes it's a good thing, but it does annoy the males.

And those humans, well, her distrust is understood.

November 18, 2006 7:44 AM  
Blogger Karen McL said...

Ah reminds me of my former feline pet - Misery-Love-Company ("Misery" for short).

She was a foundling and wasn't sure she wanted to be adopted at the time (And spent three days yowling and climbing my curtains to escape.) But she soon came to understand some love and attention and human affection for her was REAL.

I still miss her!

November 18, 2006 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was taking my blackdogs outside the Saturday morning that hurricane remnant Rita came through. I took them out to the backyard (I don't have a backdoor) on a leash to the gate by the carport and let him in, it was misting lightly, about 7:30am. As I went toward the door I heard a mew. I looked around and found a very tiny kitty. Some asshole had to have placed him in my carport, his eyes haden't been open for more than a few days. I picked him up (he was so young I actually thought he was a girl) and looked everywhere for more kitties and momma. Didn't find squat. I kept looking all day long with the same results. I held this little kitten in my left hand and went to the dollar store, bought a small bottle of eyedrops, flushed it out and filled it with whole milk warmed gently. I sat with that kitten all weekend feeding him, he learned quick to take the nipple and kept him warm. In one of the few acts of kindness I took him to work Monday since he was so small he needed constant attention, had him vetted (that's when I found out he was a he) and got some kitten mile replacer. With my two blackdogs I really couldn't keep him although by then the bonds were forming strongly. I lucked out and found a lady not five blocks from where I worked who takes care of these orphans. I gave her a donation and all of my stuff and cried for my kitty for a week. But she did well, the beautiful Russian Blue boycat is in great hands and has found a good home.

If I could ever catch the sack of shit that dumped their problem on me I would kill them.

Be responsible for what happens damnit.

November 19, 2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger Gort said...

Fred, I found a cartoon you might like:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/0427bish-a.jpg

November 19, 2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

Awwww, what a cutie.

Hope you're doing well. We where tired of desert living (in a military town) and decided to move to Portland (AKA Beervana) to be around like minded people. We love it here. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving,

Kat

November 20, 2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Fred, this is Baby Mackie. It sounds like you also have some great people to live with. It sounds like you and Mr. Pop are people the Snaves would get along with well when it comes to animals.

The vet... ugh. I have to go in soon for shots, and Snave is practically dying to know if their scale will say I've lost weight or not. I think it's safe to say I have lost a couple of pounds, but it has been crappy having to eat less over the past year or two. I guess 18.5 pounds is a bit much for someone my size... Snave tells me he thinks I'm down to about 16. We'll see. And to top that all off, he and Mrs. Snave aren't cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving this year! Or any other kind of meat except for some burger in a lasagna... sigh... But that's o.k. I know Snave will let me lick his plate, and I love tomato sauce.

November 23, 2006 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home