Friday, February 23, 2007

Friday with Fred the Cat


This week really has been a fiasco for me. I guess every cat has his bad days now and again. I had one of those days this week.

You all know about the little pillow full of Comic catnip that I got for Christmas, right? Okay, you probably also know that I love that stuff so much. I’m telling you it makes me feel so good.

Recently we had a couple of cold days, even for sunny Florida. On cold days I feel naturally spunky. I get all frisky and do silly things like running laps around and around the patio at warp speed. You know, just feeling my feline spirit.

Well, on this one particular cold morning, with my spunkiness in top form, I decided to add in some time with the Cosmic catnip pillow. I was rubbing my face on it and chewing on it and then for some fool reason I picked it up with my front paws and slung it into the air. As I watched in something like slow motion my little pillow of Cosmic catnip sailed into the air and then it veered a little and came to rest right in the middle of the swimming pool. Oh no, I cried in cat speak. I can’t reach it and it is soaking up pool water. Sadly, her highness was in the house and didn’t hear me. I sat there beside the pool and watched helplessly as my little pillow drowned in chemically treated water. I wasn’t feeling so damned frisky now and the catnip buzz was all gone. Funny how something dramatic can totally erase a good catnip feeling.

Later that day her highness saw the little pillow floating around in the pool and retrieved it with the pool net. I saw what she was doing and ran to see what condition my favorite toy might be in at this time. Her highness petted me and told me that it was ruined and would have to be tossed in the trash. Both she and I had a moment for me and for my Cosmic catnip pillow.

Today is Friday, and I have been promised a new Cosmic catnip pillow tomorrow. That’s fine but I wish it could be sooner. I have a brand new bag of cat treats and everyone knows treats are so much better with an appetizer of Cosmic catnip.

Have a great weekend and here’s to keeping our paws crossed that I get my new little pillow real soon. I’m going to be much more responsible from now on. At least that’s what the Pops want to think. We’ll see how that works out.

25 Comments:

Blogger Undeniable Liberal said...

I feel your pain, Fred. I've had the same thing happen to my smokey treats, and it's not a pretty sight.

February 23, 2007 3:49 AM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

Fred, I hate it when that happens! If you are like the boys at the Oasis, you tossed it in there just so your peeps could fish it back out for you. Isn't that the really fun part part? I mean, they deserve some encouragement to play with the toys too, and it's fun to watch them retrieve things from under dressers, sofas, or even out of pools.

February 23, 2007 4:33 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Makes me want to sing a Cosmic Catnip song, just make up a little ditty.

Cosmic Catnip
Sinkin' in the pool
Ain't no cat
Gonna go to school
Rum kitty rum tum
Doodle dee dool!

I didn't say it would be good.

February 23, 2007 5:38 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Poor Fred. Hang in there. Happy days are right around the corner.

February 23, 2007 5:38 AM  
Blogger missmagnoliathunderpussy said...

Darling Fred, "Catnip" really now, I just hope you won't be joining Miss Shears in Rehab!

February 23, 2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger Blue said...

Cold days get me all frisky and manic, too, Fred! Sorry about your cosmic catnip. I can't imagine a worse fate. And you gotta go another whole day without a fix???

February 23, 2007 6:40 AM  
Blogger Pogo said...

Fred, a few hours of being cleareyed will make you appreciate the new pillow more when her highness gets it for you.

February 23, 2007 6:48 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Poor Fred, but just think, only one more day and you'll have your little catnip pillow back. We have a fresh catnip plant here for our cat. He likes to go and nibble on it whenever he's in that mood. We say he's "self-medicating."

February 23, 2007 7:43 AM  
Blogger Brendan said...

Such biting insight from such a pwetty kitty .. THAT's how to start a weekend.

Thanks!

February 23, 2007 8:39 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

fred dude, barn monster here. this catnip thing pal. ya gotta watch that stuff. might wanna consider some time in the country and stuff. ya know get back to the feline roots of huntin' and well, huntin'. don't be goin' all silly on us getting your hed shaved and tattoos, doing the in and out of rehab thing. remember, a little catnip's nothing to worry about but . . .

February 23, 2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Awww Freddy, just be glad your pool is liquid in February. (the ones around here aren't)

Take a nap in the sun and dedicate it to me....

February 23, 2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Okay Fred, don't you think it's about time that POP gave thought to renaming the day after you? Why Friday? Can't it just as easily be Freday?

February 23, 2007 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Fred isn't learning to read. It is way better going through this life not knowing what is going on around you.

February 23, 2007 10:55 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Fred, Baby Mackie here. It sounds like YOU lead a very good life! I am jealous... hope the pillow comes through. It also looks like you have good tastes in books!

Snave put a humiliating picture of me on his blog's masthead. I don't know if I want to snuggle with him anymore!!

February 23, 2007 2:45 PM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

Fred, You need a retriever.

February 23, 2007 3:49 PM  
Blogger Octavian said...

Your cat and a book about Iraq. Could it be more liberal? Haha

February 23, 2007 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be brutally honest, Fred, I think you might have to face the truth about your obvious dependence on the Cosmic catnip. Look at the picture, my friend, and be honest! It isn't a pretty picture, you passing out unconsious like that and obviously not being charged and inspired by the great book like Fiasco. Remember, I am your friend and want only the best for you! Get clean, man!

February 23, 2007 10:30 PM  
Blogger Graeme said...

the cat is closer to a book than the president has ever been

February 24, 2007 12:35 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Oh Fred! You'll just have to get your cat emotions in check if you want to save your stash. It is to be treasured and savored...but not at the bottom of the pool silly.

February 24, 2007 12:40 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Holy Cow! I must be a cat too, Fred, and just never admitted it, because I've threw stuff in the pool after a few nips of the Cosmic Concoctions; Like Myself!!

Fred....if ya tone it down just a bit maybe, ya think? I'm thinking of organizing a Fred The Cat drive for President, and I'd rather not start off by explaining pillows in your pool...ya know? Be glad there were no DEA agents around. They're rough. Ask Limbaugh!:P

But doesn't your heart just fall thru your paws, when you see all that good stuff get soaked, and ruined for ever? Been there too, Bro!:)

February 24, 2007 2:19 AM  
Blogger Angry Ballerina said...

If you don't talk to your cat about catnip, then who will?

February 24, 2007 8:06 AM  
Blogger Fixer said...

Yeah, I had to go see the Jamaicans yesterday too. ;)

February 24, 2007 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Fred! I'm so sorry you had to go through such a horrible time. I hope you get the new catnip Cosmic pillow. I hope the store still has one when your mom gets there. I hope you get extra hugs and pets until you get your pillow.

February 24, 2007 5:31 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Fred & "Fiasco" - HILARIOUS!!

February 25, 2007 1:44 AM  
Blogger blueINdallas said...

Orchid show

http://www.southfloridaorchidsociety.org/

February 25, 2007 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home