Monday, March 01, 2010

One Little Bird

For the past several weeks a pair of painted buntings along with a pair of indigo buntings have been coming to our bird feeders every day. They are visiting us from up north.

Yesterday the female painted bunting was sitting at the feeder. Out of nowhere a hawk flew into our yard. It startled the little bird and she, in her moment of desperation, flew right into the glass pane of our kitchen window. I went outside to see if she was okay. She wasn’t. She was laying there in the grass with a broken neck.

I picked up her little still warm body and cupped her in my hands. I brought her into the house with tears running down my face. I placed her in a little cardboard box and Mr. Pop buried her later in the day.

It was just a little bird, I know. But I wish she could know that a human being, something she feared her entire life, had cared enough about her to cry due to her loss of life. She’ll never know how many hours I stood at my sink washing dishes and enjoyed watching her through my window as she nibbled on the seeds we placed in the feeder for her. One little bird will be missed.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sewmouse said...

Spent 8 days down in your neck of the woods, PoP (Ok, your state, as I am not sure where your woods' neck might exactly be) - and had the distinct pleasure of watching 2 HUGEMONGOUS sandhill cranes stroll by down the walkway past my Dad's screened patio.

So sad about the little bird - they don't understand glass, and we've had a few incidents up here too. I hope this is the last one for you!

March 01, 2010 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand. I'm a 58 year-old man, and when my son's guinea pig died, I cried like a baby. The backyard "funeral" was as sad as any human funeral I've been to.

March 02, 2010 5:00 AM  
Blogger Spadoman said...

Maybe that bird wasn't just a bird. Could have been a spirit from the past, someone or something you might have known. There could have been a connection, and if there wasn't, there is now. You took the effort to make it peaceful, as you thought peaceful should be. That's commendable in any sense.

Peace.

March 02, 2010 5:05 AM  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

First, let me say how envious I am of your buntings in your yard - I've never seen a painted bunting, and have seen an indigo bunting only once in my whole life.

Second, I totally identify, I would have cried about the poor little bird too. I remember one spring there was a family of Cardinals living in our area. Also a lot of outdoor cats. The young Cardinals had just started flying around and you could tell they were babies because they looked more like the mother but a little redder. One day we were out on the patio and one of the babies flew wildly - might have been his first flight- and ran into the neighbor's garage, falling directly in front of our neighbor's cat. Like manna from heaven, in the cat's perspective I guess. He picked up the bird (which wasn't hurt by the fall and as quite alive) and ran off with it. The father Cardinal fluttered helplessly and flew after the cat but it was too late. For the rest of the day he fruitlessly searched for the baby. It was heartbreaking. I've never forgotten it and it haunts me to this day. And I even like cats.

March 02, 2010 5:14 PM  
Blogger billie said...

on the bright side- it didn't get eaten by the hawk- which would have been infinitely more excruciating. and if we can't cry at the loss of life- any life- well, it's a frightening thought...

March 03, 2010 3:49 PM  
Anonymous hummingbird feeder said...

My goodness, that is such a terribly sad story! I was devastated after my pet bird died so I kind of know what you feel like! Sorry for you!

March 03, 2010 5:32 PM  
Blogger Weaseldog said...

But the hawk had to find a different bird to eat...

I've lost some chickens to hawks and one of my dogs over the last few months. I feel terrible every time that happens.

So I understand and empathize with your feelings for the bird.

A 12 year old neighbor lost her dog a few days ago. She's asked my wife and I, to bring our dogs to the service on Saturday.

March 05, 2010 1:55 PM  
Blogger dguzman said...

It's happened to us all, Pop. I lost a little Black-capped Chickadee and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that way. It was tough. It's nice that you got the decals though; they help!

March 16, 2010 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home