Monday, September 15, 2008

A Moment in My Time

When we arrived on Captiva, the last few rain bands of Hurricane Ike were still hanging around. It was windy and at times rainy. No day at the beach.

By Thursday morning the rain had stopped but the breeziness remained. It was another, not a good hair day, day. After Mr. Pop left for his meetings, I pinned up my hair and walked down to the beach.

I was surprised to see over six foot waves breaking on the beach. It isn’t often you see waves that size on the western coast of Florida. The sky was still dark gray and heavy with clouds.

There were shore birds everywhere you looked, from the beach to out over the open water. I guess the waves had stirred up all sorts of tasty morsels for them because they called and dived and ate to their hearts content.

I looked north on the beach and did not see a single human being, same to the south. I sat down on the sand and just looked and listened. The only sounds I heard were the waves crashing on the sand and all those many birds calling. For that moment, I felt sincerely serene. I don’t believe I have ever felt that sense of serenity more in my whole life. No humans to see and nothing to hear but the sounds of nature. It was a moment I will never forget. I could have taken pictures, but I didn’t want that moment to last as a photo, I wanted it to always remain with me as a memory. My memory of that moment in my time.

14 Comments:

Blogger Distributorcap said...

how nice -- the ultimate moment of serenity, etched as a memory.

i hope the rest of the time was as peaceful.

September 15, 2008 2:08 AM  
Blogger FreakyNick said...

no humans

that must have been blissful

I'm jealous

September 15, 2008 4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really lovely, PoP.

September 15, 2008 5:06 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Nothing beats sitting by the ocean.

September 15, 2008 5:08 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

the peace that passes all understanding!

September 15, 2008 6:04 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

the peace that passes all understanding!

September 15, 2008 6:04 AM  
Blogger Matthew Hubbard said...

Nice writing, PoP. I have nothing but respect for you and CDP for what y'all can do with just the prose, if you don't mind sharing the stage.

September 15, 2008 6:18 AM  
Blogger Migrant Miyazakian said...

Hi Patricia

I just read your posting on Crooks and Liars about Lehman Brothers: I couldn't agree more.

Nothing about this is about us, it's all about them. But it's news, so it gets reported.

Your blog is a good place to come to read a dose of sane, rational thought.

Thanks,

Chris

September 15, 2008 7:17 AM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

How beautiful! What a wonderful memory!

Luf, Us

September 15, 2008 7:23 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

living on the north coast is the only thing keeping me sane these days. the ocean always works for me.

September 15, 2008 10:35 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

sounds almost perfect.

September 15, 2008 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 15, 2008 9:49 PM  
Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'm glad you got to see that and were able to come back and tell us about it.

September 16, 2008 7:32 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

*blissing out to your moment*

Nice, PoP.

September 16, 2008 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home