Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Gotcha Karma Right Here

Our neighbor, across the street, is in his mid eighties, but don’t tell him that. He does more in one day than most of the rest of us. He is the neighbor I rely on to feed Fred the Cat’s little feral cat friend, N-D Anna, when we are away. He is a major cat lover and has told us that feeding N-D Anna is a “privilege”.

With all this neighbor’s energy, he has a problem. He has a bad knee that causes him real problems when he kneels to pick up something. This is especially true when he goes out to pick up his newspaper from his driveway.

We have been trying to think of something we can give him as a gratitude present for caring for N-D Anna. He has gobs of money so he buys what he wants. When we were out shopping this past weekend we saw this gadget that allows you to pick up things without bending over. We happily bought it and brought it home.

Then we started to second guess ourselves. Our neighbor is a man of pride and we wondered if he would be offended that we had noticed his weakness. Casting our fate to the wind, Mr. Pop took the present over to give to the neighbor. Mr. Pop said it was received with great joy and many words of gratitude. In other words, we did a good thing.

Tomorrow I’ll tell you about the Karma.

19 Comments:

Blogger Lew Scannon said...

Good neighbors deserve each other. And you both are very fortunate.

January 22, 2008 3:25 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Oh how I love when you start a story, a karma story and then leave us to wait another day!

Whatever the outcome, that was a really nice thing for you guys to do.

That said, you all seem like really nice people. People (and a dog and a cat) that I'd like to have drinks and conversation with!!

January 22, 2008 3:35 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

It's those little things that will bring you greater reward.

January 22, 2008 3:36 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

That was a good idea and a nice thing to do. Madam Monk has one of those things she uses to reach stuff on high shelves or when stuff falls behind furniture. That extra two feet or so really helps sometimes.

January 22, 2008 4:09 AM  
Blogger FreakyNick said...

It is an honor to be asked to take care of something for someone while they're away for a bit. It means you've earned the trust of that person, and that is such a good feeling, its priceless.

January 22, 2008 4:37 AM  
Blogger Blue said...

Sounds like an awesome neighbor and an awesome gift...I'm glad he valued your gift! And I think I'm starting to need one of those cool gadgets myself!!

January 22, 2008 5:04 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

It's the little things. You noticed his problem and when you saw something that could help him, you thought of him.

Now, I want the karma story.

January 22, 2008 5:17 AM  
Blogger XUP said...

I want one of those little gadgets that picks things up.

January 22, 2008 6:40 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I bet he's saying how thoughtful the POP's are, to think to buy me somethign for doing something I enjoy!
As the older I get I need one of those darn things!

January 22, 2008 6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genuine concern is rarely seen as patronizing. You done good.

January 22, 2008 7:40 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

You and Mr. Pop are so observant, and especially good for taking action when you noticed a need.

January 22, 2008 7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on the edge of my seat for the Karma!

January 22, 2008 10:03 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I love my neighbors. They are an elderly couple that spend the winter in Florida. I only see them from May until September.

Couldn't ask for better neighbors.

It is great that you guys are so thoughtful like that.

January 22, 2008 10:04 AM  
Blogger Forty Paws said...

That was so thoughtful of you to get that grabber for him.

January 22, 2008 10:48 AM  
Blogger Bruce, a work in progress said...

Proud but also gracious and grateful. That was a nice thing to do.

January 22, 2008 11:18 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Hmmm...I could use one of those thingies myself ;)

January 22, 2008 1:03 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

I love Karma...good Karma,that is!

Looking forward to the rest of the story. I thought maybe you were gonna tell me you taught Fred the Cat to fetch the paper for him....but cats leave that kind of menial work to dogs. :-)

January 22, 2008 1:44 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

That is so sweet! I have one of those things and find it's great for retrieving socks from behind the dryer, so I was gonna suggest you tell him that, just in case he might be offended. I'm glad he was delighted with it. I'll tune in tomorrow for the karma. :)

January 22, 2008 4:16 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

That sounds like the "pay it forward" philosophy. I hope part two is a happy ending.

January 22, 2008 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home