Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Read any good books lately?

Next week we’ll be heading out for the beach. What does that mean? It means it’s time to go book shopping.

Recently I have been reading “Confessions of an economic hit man”. Way too heavy reading for the beach, in my opinion. I want to read something funny and lighthearted. I have considered Hunter Thompson’s “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”. I read the reviews at one of the online book stores and most said it was funny in a dark sort of way. Since I have never read any of Thompson’s work, would that be a good one for the beach?

A couple of years ago someone suggested that I take “Lamb” by Christopher Moore, to read. I did and I laughed out loud and drove Mr. Pop crazy reading parts of it to him.

So, it’s that time again, any suggestions?

13 Comments:

Blogger FreakyNick said...

Lost & Found - Jacqueline Sheehan

Predictable in parts, but a good read for the beach.

July 22, 2009 3:20 AM  
Anonymous Via said...

Unclie Dynamite by P.G. Wodehouse of Wooster and Jeeves fame. Wonderful, madcap fun. Droll British humor. Delightful.

July 22, 2009 6:13 AM  
Blogger dguzman said...

I enjoyed Confessions immensely, but then I never read at the beach. I just look for shells and get really sunburned. Love it.

July 22, 2009 6:46 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

4 words:
Donald Westlake's Dortmunder series.

want to laugh out loud and drive Mr. PoP crazy again?
the first book of the series is, 'The Hot Rock'
you'll get hooked and have to read every one of them.

btw--thanx so much for referring 'Doggone it'. I bought it, read it, loved it and am waiting for the next one.

July 22, 2009 7:30 AM  
Blogger Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

The Girl From Botany Bay and Before the Frost are both good.

July 22, 2009 10:29 AM  
Blogger Randal Graves said...

Fighting for the American Dream by the Joe the Plumber.

July 22, 2009 11:24 AM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

Greg Isle: The Quiet Game. Actually, anything by Isle.

Ever read the "Flashman" series by George Macdonald Fraser? A romp, and scream, a really good time.

July 22, 2009 12:02 PM  
Blogger lisahgolden said...

The Cracker Queen by Lauretta Hannon. Funny and poignant. Best memoir I've ever read.

July 22, 2009 6:05 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

"Nights at the Circus", by deceased British author Angela Carter. She was funny as hell, as well as intelligent as all get out.
ANY of her writing is worth reading.

July 22, 2009 6:09 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

I'd suggest Jennifer Weiner.

July 22, 2009 6:19 PM  
Blogger Zelda Parker said...

I'd suggest Jennifer Weiner.

July 22, 2009 6:19 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I thought everyone and their brother had read Fear and Loathing. I heart Gonzo,

July 23, 2009 10:54 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Try anything by Richard Russo.

July 25, 2009 6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home