Monday, July 20, 2009

Getting a little crazy

Let me set the stage for this by telling you that I am a creature of habit. Not often do I do something rash or even daring. But Saturday I nervously tiptoed out of my safe circle just a bit. Guys may not understand this but most females will.

Since the invasion of Iraq, I have not cut my hair. I would have the ends trimmed a couple of times a year but no major cutting. As a result my hair was about half way down my back and it’s natural color of medium brown . Boring!

Two weeks ago I decided to get a little crazy. I called a salon and made an appointment for this past Saturday. Not only did I get my hair cut to shoulder length but I had two different shades of highlights applied, the lightest being a cream color. I asked the hairdresser what he suggested and then I just closed my eyes and told him to go for it.

I cannot tell you how happy I feel about my looks right now. Yeah, when I look in the mirror it doesn’t look like me, but I like the looks of that stranger I see there looking back at me. Mr. Pop is as happy with my new appearance as I am, so it’s all good. It’s amazing what something so small as a hair cut and a little color can do for you, for your attitude and for your self confidence.

So I stepped out of safe circle Saturday and landed on both feet, with smiles all around. Maybe I should do that a little more often. Nah, I don’t want to get too crazy here, I’ll just enjoy this for now. And yes, I am kinda proud of my bravery. It’s good to know I still have a little of that stuff.

13 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

It's always good to step out of the safe zone, every now and then. Good for you!

July 20, 2009 7:48 AM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

Congratulations!

I bet you look fabulous!

July 20, 2009 8:21 AM  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

Congratulations! I bet it looks great!

I know what it feels like - I recently took a big step and had my hair cut short for the first time in like 35 years! It wasn't real long before, but most of it was down close to my shoulders and being naturally curly, it tended to be scraggly. I'm amazed at how many compliments I'm getting on my new short "'do." Should've done it before - it's so easy to take care of now!

July 20, 2009 9:10 AM  
Blogger roger said...

film at eleven?? or tomorrow?

good on ya for the stepping out.

July 20, 2009 10:26 AM  
Blogger two crows said...

what? no tattoo or nipple ring?

seriously-- good going. post a pic?

July 20, 2009 10:58 AM  
Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

good on you!!!!

that is terrific and ii can make you feel proud.

July 20, 2009 11:10 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Excellent! A friend of mine who just turned 50 and I have a pact: No drab hair! Every few months, foil and a haircut, not two bits, but worth every penny.

July 20, 2009 1:23 PM  
Blogger Fixer said...

Sometimes a big change is good. When I got out the military, I refused to cut my hair or shave anymore. That was 1988. It took me 10 years but in '98, I shaved my belly-length beard and waist-length hair to shorter than I had when I was in, which is how it stayed. I understand now, I did it because I realized I finally had my PTSD under control, gave up the daily booze (I was drinking a fifth of Jack Daniels a day) and the bad drugs (two grams of coke a day) and finally looked at the world clearly after a long hiatus from reality. It's amazing how we deal with stuff, ain't it?

July 20, 2009 1:43 PM  
Blogger Targa said...

I give it 7 months and you'll be tired of it... Oh, wait... I thought this was an Obama's Health Reform thread.

Sorry. :)

Well, I decided three months ago to grow my hair long. I'm 48... I used to have REALLY long hair back in the late '80s/early '90s, but cut it short for reasons I still don't remember. Being a musician, it was just part of my "uniform" for over 20 years.
This year I said, "F**k it, I'm growing it out." I'm in the goofy stage right now, but I'm looking forward to that day 3 or 4 months from now when I look in the mirror and say, "That's it, I'm cutting it off!"

July 20, 2009 2:14 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

i think you have more than "a little of that stuff" you just use very wise judgment on when to use it!

July 20, 2009 6:18 PM  
Blogger Cujo359 said...

Good for you. Sometimes experimenting is good, and change can be refreshing when you haven't had much of it.

July 20, 2009 10:51 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Way to work it! Change is good & it is just hair --- it will grow back.

July 21, 2009 5:33 AM  
Blogger Freida Bee said...

I'll take your word for it, but you know we want to see.

Yea. Going to my belovedly found hair lady is one of my few indulgences. I only get cuts and sometimes it is too long in between, but it's worth it.

July 21, 2009 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home