Wednesday, October 18, 2006

One of Those Days

I’m writing this on Tuesday morning as I wait for a “fix it” man who is already almost two hours late. Ya gotta love it.

This man is coming to replace the faucets and drains on our three bathroom sinks, install two light fixtures on the patio, put new cranks on two or our widows so they’ll open, grout some tile and replace one of our closet doors.

When was the last time you removed everything from beneath the sink in your bathrooms? I just finished that little chore and found a lot of stuff I do not need. Hell, I found stuff I didn’t even know I had. So if I didn’t know I had it, I don’t believe I need it. Stuff, meet the trash can.

Fred is in a carrier so he won’t scoot out while the door is being opened and shut during today’s operations. Nope, he’s not one bit happy about his situation. Little deaf Murphy is all curled up and sleeping on his big pillow so he could care less what’s going on. And me, I’m waiting and writing this because there’s not much else I can do.

I’ll write the rest of this post this afternoon or tonight and let you know how the day went from this point.

* * * * * *

Fix it man is here and he’s like a freakin’ tornado. Both light fixtures are up and he will soon be off to the store for some lines or something he’ll need for the bathroom fixtures. Someone should clone this guy.

He was back within thirty minutes with what he needed and he was done with everything by four o’clock. He was amazing. He was so kind to Murphy and very nice to me.

Finally a good experience with a repairman. How often does that happen?

* * * * * *

Yes, as of this writing (six o’clock, Tuesday evening) I do have all the bathrooms cleaned up and back to normal. Lots of stuff that used to be under those sinks no longer call this place home. Some of those bottles of nail polish were probably old enough to be collector’s items. I’m sort of kidding.

Okay, he was here from ten this morning until four o’clock this afternoon. We had already paid for all the materials he installed. So how much do you think he charged for his labor?

25 Comments:

Blogger andante said...

Hmmm. No clue. Please send him up here so I can find out.

In fact, I may marry him.

October 18, 2006 5:54 AM  
Blogger andi said...

under the bathroom sink? yeuch. i go there as seldom as possible.

October 18, 2006 6:21 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

How much for six hours? Hubby charges anywhere from 15 to 36 dollars an hour for handyman stuff... and I think he's on the low end of the scale. So, that would be somewhere between 90 and 540.

October 18, 2006 6:30 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

All I charge is a martini with two olives...Blue Sapphire of course I'm not cheap.

Yes, a good experience with an outside contractor is a wonderful thing and sometimes the cost is secondary to the satisfaction of seeing a job well done.

October 18, 2006 6:42 AM  
Blogger Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

I have to say that most jobs don't go as planned and end up taking longer than estimated, making the fix-it person run late and annoying his or her customers.

I know this because my husband's a foreman and a cabinetmaker with almost 23 years' experience. Everything that can go wrong with a cabinetry installation will go wrong; it's Murphy's Law of Installation. He doesn't go out in the field much anymore—his job is to supervise the cabinetmakers who do—but when he did, he'd encounter customers whose walls were out of plumb, making it difficult to get cabinets up properly, and customers who decided that because he's good with his hands, he should also fix the plumbing or electric problems while he's there. The customers of the company he works for are wealthy Southampton movie stars and business magnates, and they don't want to take no for an answer. They don't give a damn if the job before theirs that morning turned into a drawn-out nightmare; they want him at their beck and call. I'm not saying you're that way, PoP, but plenty of customers are.

October 18, 2006 6:46 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

Are there any Hobbits in this story?

October 18, 2006 6:48 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Wow! A dream repairman must have floated into your house. Are you going to tell us the labor cost and how you found this wonderful being?

October 18, 2006 6:49 AM  
Blogger JM said...

Glad things worked out for 'ya...I'm gonna guess you racked up a bill in the $400 neighborhood. I hope, for your sake I'm wrong.

October 18, 2006 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go with $450 total.

October 18, 2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I'm married to a guy just like that repairman. It does make life so much easier. Repair work like that in California would go for between $25 to $50 an hour.

October 18, 2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger Richie McWhite said...

So how much do you think he charged for his labor?

Is he in the country legally?

October 18, 2006 9:07 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 18, 2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

{In my best Dr. Evil voice} One Million dollars.......

LoL I never have to worry about cleaning under the sink, I can’t get in there, I child proofed the house only to find it’s adult proof as well!

October 18, 2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i just finished going ballistic on some guys that were supposed to hang dry wall in part of one room who wanted to charge me $1,300. i'm sitting at the computer waiting for my blood to unboil. glad you had a better time of it.

October 18, 2006 10:27 AM  
Blogger BBC said...

I charge $15.00 an hour so it would have cost you 60 to 75 bucks. Depending on how much I like you. I often give a little of my time as a gift.

October 18, 2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger azgoddess said...

wow - please clone him and send him my way...the electrical i can do but i could use a good plumber right now..

and yes, i did that clean under the bathroom sink - twice in the last month..(two bathrooms) and it's amazing what we stick under there...smile

October 18, 2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger DBK said...

"When was the last time you removed everything from beneath the sink in your bathrooms?"

Last Friday. The new Corian countertops (with integrated sinks) go in tomorrow afternoon. Then I get to install two faucets.

I hate doing plumbing, but I hate paying plumbers for work I can do myself even more.

October 18, 2006 12:01 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I was going to guess around $500, but you sound happy...so instead I'll say $50. ;-).

October 18, 2006 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PoP....if he charges you under $200, I'd say he needs to increase his prices. Essentially, the jobs he did for you took up his entire work day.....at $200 a day for 5 days a week, that's $1,000. Let's say he takes 2 weeks off for vacation....that would give him $50,000 a yr.....that's not an ungodly sum for a man to make a yr. for honest work....

October 18, 2006 1:45 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

He does electrical, plumbing, grouting, mechanical, AND is polite? I hope my wife doesn't read this post. She'll leave me..(: Under the sink: Oh Boy! As you know, we just moved not long ago, and the only fight we had (and it was a doozy) was when it came time to clean under the sink!:) I honestly did not know you could shove Sooooo much stuff in one space! If he was in the country legally.....$250-$300. If not....hundred, hundred fifty?

October 18, 2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger JBlue said...

$500?

October 18, 2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

$250

October 18, 2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger paris said...

I would guess $12 and hour. Under the sink let me see in my own personnal bathroom just 3 cleaners, under the kitchen sink eveything from a garden hand shovel to car wax, and then in the other bathroom I spotted baby shampoo too Why the kids have been gone for yearrrrrrrsssss.

October 18, 2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I'm in for $300.00...

October 18, 2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Geez, I hate it when I get up and people on the east coast hasn't got up a new post yet. LOL ... Maybe I shouldn't get up on the same day I go to bed. :-)

October 19, 2006 1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home