Monday, May 22, 2006

Even TV’s can take only so much BS

Damn it, why do I watch? I almost didn’t watch the Sunday morning news shows yesterday. I debated if I wanted to waste another beautiful morning hearing bullshit being said by the top bullshiters. I wish I had lost that debate with myself because as it turned out, I watched.

I’m not going to bother with transcripts, I’ll just tell you the way it sounded to me.

First there was that pre-game show. George and laura walked out and stood side by side grinning. George said the people in Iraq had turned another corner, thus making the people of Iraq the newest entry into the Guinness Book of World Records. They have turned more corners than have ever been turned before. Woo Woo, for the people of Iraq!

I watched Timmy the Large, allow Condi the Less than Truthful, to rattle on and on about why Iran is the new Iraq. Condi was her usual monologue self. She was asked questions that could be answered “yes” or “no” and she managed to use about a zillion words while avoiding the subject of the question all together. Timmy the Large was a lot tougher on Pelosi when she was on his show. Guess Timmy the Large got up on the Right side of the bed this Sunday morning.

Then there was Chris Matthews of “Hairball” fame. Chris actually talked about Al Gore and could Al beat Hill. Then there was noise about who could beat who for the next presidential race and blah blah blah. Nothing of substance there, as usual.

Next comes the show with George Stephanopoulos. On his show he had one very interesting guest, the Attorney General of the United States, who has decided that “freedom of the press” has become optional and he’s not buying it. That rascal seems to think lots of things are optional. We already know that he believes “the right to privacy” depends on what the meaning of privacy is. I’m sure that any media person who was listening to Alberto the Legal Decider, spit out their breakfast when they heard him so much as say that members of the press are fair game, with no assured protection. Jeez, doesn’t the government have enough to do, hunting the terrorists who are hiding behind every tree, must they also go in pursuit of the media too?

So bottom line, Condi wants to blow the shit out of Iran, Chris Matthews still can’t produce an ounce of news and Alberto is on the hunt for reporters who tell us the truth about what is actually being done in this country and abroad. He calls leaks what we used to call news.

About half way through George’s show, my TV freaked out. First it went nuts and was whipping from one channel to the next and wouldn’t stop no matter what I did. So I unplugged it and plugged it in again. Same thing, switching channels round and round the dial. Maybe just like us, TV’s can only take so much bullshit before they just freakin’ lose it.

21 Comments:

Blogger Shutterwi said...

Ten minutes into Timmy the Large I decide to go out to my workshop and drill that bad tooth I have.... a LOT less painful than watching Timmy.

May 22, 2006 5:18 AM  
Blogger C.S. said...

POP...

Why do you torture yourself like this?

Everything coming from the talking heads is B.S.

I suggest you spend your Sunday mornings on a more tranquil mission...take the local birdcage liner and go to the beach or park and chill out.

Weekends are for escape from reality...

Works for me.

May 22, 2006 6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PoP...after reading your rant, I'm glad I did take another news break this weekend. However, your tv seems to have a lot of common sense. Too bad the pundits and pols don't...

May 22, 2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger JM said...

Yea, I can't watch those shows because if I did, I would need blood pressure medication. I think C.S. has the right idea.

May 22, 2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger Spadoman said...

OK PoP........Control yourself. You're report saved me a lot of agony. Now I know what I missed and was able to enjoy an ice cold motorcycle ride Sunday morning and didn't worry about the news. Thanks

May 22, 2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger The Culture Ghost said...

Your television was trying to save your sanity.

May 22, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger eProf2 said...

PoP: We really enjoy CBS Sunday Morning as a respite from the political talk shows. It's the only tv we watch on Sunday, giving ourselves a much needed break from the week's talking heads. Try it, you might like it.

My verification is: gb-cog-tv. Make of it as you will!

May 22, 2006 9:57 AM  
Blogger Rex Kramer, Danger Seeker said...

Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping I slip on my iPod, which plays an endless loop of Condi and her lovely and reassuring monotone voice. Not only do I awake the next morning refreshed, I always seem to love America just a little bit more!

May 22, 2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Spadoman said...

PoP.................
wondering if you've had time to find the book I suggested a week or so ago. I believe it to be relavent. I feel a connection here about it. (did I spell rel-a-vent right?)

May 22, 2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

Maybe your next door neighbor was flipping thru the channels trying to find something worth watching. Hell, maybe your whole neighborhood was doing that.

Maybe the combined output of all the remotes in america trying at the same time to find SOMETHING on TV WORTH WATCHING will finally grab the attention of that mothership out there past pluto, and in 7 years we'll get a visit - just in time for them to either fix global warming, or evict us as criminally negligent(or both). ;)

May 22, 2006 11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Unfortunately, you have to turn it off to make it stop. Unplug it - sell it or give it away. With the internet, the television news is really rather superflous - and frankly, quite useless. Gone are the days when investagative reporters broke real news.

May 22, 2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

Wow! Give the Lady a break, even!:) She watched so that many of us didn't have to. Community Service taken to the edge. I think the whatchacallit went out on the dooflingie which drives the veggiematictransportable super sizer on your TV. Saw that happen once. It was painful. I'd make you a martini except for two things: I've already ate all the olives, and two, I don't know how. Sorry!...(:

May 22, 2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger Lew Scannon said...

You certainly have more patience than I. It only took me fifteen seconds of Preet The Mess before I decided it was too early in the day for anti-Iran propaganda. I mean when Russert says Condi's going to talk about new threats from Iran, I just know he's not going to question what real threat the nuclear power plant they're building is to the US.
That's when I told my son he could hook up his X-box.

May 22, 2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

I had it on watching their lips move while checking blogs. Halfway through was enough. I turn on Meet the Press just long enough to see who's there (which I'd know if I remembered to check the night before).

What's the point? Nothing changes.

May 22, 2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger andante said...

Sunday morning bobblehead shows - just one more reason to be grateful I work on Sundays.

May 22, 2006 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not your tv. You're just not watching enough south park, you silly liberal cunt.

May 22, 2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger TFLS said...

Do you remember David Brinkley? 20 years back, my hubby and I used to enjoy watching his show. The opinions were balanced - Brinkley saw to that. I really enjoyed listening to him. Frankly - I don't remember the last time I watched any of the 'usual suspects'. They give me a headache. Intelligent analysis has long since been replaced by shrill hucksterism. Don't waste your time. Spend the morning in your garden instead!

May 22, 2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Shouldn't name-call if you're going to hide behind anonymous...it clearly shows a lack of courage on one's part. Real people stand by their words...because that is all we as individuals own anyway...words for good or bad...words none the same. Words shouldn't be wasted on silly people like you Anon... attack words are sooooo unkind don't you think?

May 22, 2006 11:59 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

You didn't deserve that. No one does. Anonymous gets around. Only a few months ago he/she/it called me a racist cunt and never surfaced again.

C**t I could understand (it's one of the few words the trolls know, but racist? Still haven't figured that one out.

Ann

May 23, 2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I have each comment emailed to me for approval before it goes on my blog for that very reason. Yes, it infringes on your right to say what you want; otoh, my blog (or yours) is not a public forum. It is YOUR forum, where you set the rules. Every anonymous gets an auto reject from me. If you can't put a name behind your hatred, I can't hear you.
Dan

May 23, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I must have missed this post by you. I posted the same issue on 6/4/06, if interested.

I usually let the idiot comments go through, just to show how stupid they are.

Exception is if another reader is offended and asks that I delete it.

June 05, 2006 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home