Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Our Sanity Preservation Day

I tell ya, with all that’s going on in our country and in our world, we Americans will take any excuse to party and celebrate and try for a day or two to escape reality. As a human being, I see nothing in the world wrong with that. I think it’s called sanity preservation.

Just look at this past Super Bowl Sunday. Even people who could care less about football attended parties and had fun. Why not? We are desperate for something to celebrate even if it’s just a sporting event.

Sunday was the dreariest of days here. It was a bit chilly and damp and dark. Heavy dark clouds hung over us all day. If you felt blue when this day began there was no where to go but down hill the rest of the day.

Fortunately no one in our household had the blues. We had planned to attend an outside art show but the weather changed our plans. Instead Mr. Pop spent the better part of the morning here at the computer working and I, like an idiot, watched the Sunday morning shows like Meet the Press, etc.

We had planned a Super Bowl dinner of Southern fried chicken and potato salad with carrot cake for dessert. The plan was to eat and drink and watch football. I gotta tell you, I can fry damned good chicken and my potato salad kicks some butt too. The carrot cake I leave to the professional bakers at our local market.

The afternoon was dragging by. It was too early to begin cooking. I made the potato salad Saturday so it would have plenty of time to chill over night. So while we were in this pre-cooking zone what was there to do? I flipped the TV channels around and happened upon the Puppy Bowl. If you didn’t see it, you missed some of the cutest puppies playing on a pretend enclosed little football field. They were romping and playing and having a grand time. Whenever one of the puppies peed or pooped on the field, a human dressed as a referee would blow the whistle and announce a personal foul on the puppy responsible. Then he would go into the enclosure and clean up the problem. Talk about mindless TV, but those sweet little puppies sure were fun and the time sure did fly by.

So yes, we did take a timeout for a little while Sunday and we had fun. We ate like southern pigs, we drank like football fans must and we enjoyed the hell out of ourselves. Sometimes politics, war and all things ugly must be given a timeout. Sometimes sanity needs a wee bit of preservation. That’s what we did and that’s why we did it.

If you might be wondering, there were no hangovers here on Tuesday morning, but there was some great cold fried chicken in the frig. Life can be good if you allow it!

24 Comments:

Blogger Coffee Messiah said...

Funny about this post. We saw an old film this weekend and I feel as if I've been
programmed, kind like the guy in Clockwork Orange with his eyelids kept open
watching those horrible films.
That's what GW has done with his stupidity. It immerse's itself in everything we do,
and aside from all the uncalled for deaths everywhere, I'm getting tired of hearing/thinking about
it so much that it finds its way, even attempting to relaxe some! ; (
That post will come up soon.
Wish I had the chicken & cake ; )

February 06, 2007 5:36 AM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

Sorry I missed that Puppy Bowl. I can always use cute overload.

February 06, 2007 6:12 AM  
Blogger Pogo said...

I have my own puppy bowl between little Pogo and the idiot dog. And what doyou mean "just" a sporting event? If the Cowboys had been in it would you have dropped the "just"? LOL

Just kidding-it sounds like it was a great way to spend the day.

February 06, 2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Sounds Great. We'll have to exchange fried chicken recipes. I soak my chicken overnight in buttermilk that has been kicked up with a little Tabasco then do the seasoned flour the paper sack trick that my granny taught me. It's actually her recipe. I love fried chicken but don't cook it often enough because of the mess and fat. Potato Salad has a special place in my heart too! Keep the carrot cake...I'll have seconds on the Potato Salad.

February 06, 2007 6:56 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

2nd time trying to comment. Blogger is buggy. So is our government. That's a synopsis of what I said before.

February 06, 2007 7:14 AM  
Blogger JM said...

You've planted a dangerous idea in my head, I now have a craving for cold fried chicken. In fact, I was thinking that it might be a great idea for a fast food concept, until I realized that my first choice of a name "CFC" might be confused with a source of global warming, and that probably wouldn't be good for business.

February 06, 2007 7:53 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

We channel surfed between the Super Bowl and the Puppy Bowl. We didn't watch any news -- it was wonderful. A much needed break.

February 06, 2007 8:52 AM  
Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

What's a party without some good food? I like reading your optimistic posts and I also like fried chicken, hot-warm-or cold!

Peace.

February 06, 2007 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now have a craving for a cold fried chicken sandwich!

February 06, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Leftover fried chicken - of the home made variety can be truly wonderful...my mouth is watering at this very minute.

February 06, 2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

I live a different life so i enjoy what you have dreaming of my pastfrom a cave in Chicago

February 06, 2007 10:01 AM  
Blogger SB Gypsy said...

dreaming of my pastfrom a cave in Chicago

Is that one of the caves they're making from the old salt mines under the city?? I saw a show on them a couple of years ago, and they were planning to build apartments down there as well as cold storage.

February 06, 2007 10:05 AM  
Blogger Michael Bains said...

I watched that Puppy Bowl a couple o' years ago. LOL! "Cute Overload" is right, but it was a wonderful contrast to the real thing.

February 06, 2007 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would you have a hangover on Tuesday morning considering the game was on Sunday Night?

February 06, 2007 12:47 PM  
Blogger Walt said...

I had a light repast (wings, crackers and cheese) while watching the Game. The weather was the best feature, apart from Da Colts winning - football should be played outdoors, prey to all the vicissitudes of the weather (I recall a Chicago-Philadelphia game played in fog so dense no one could see the ball when it was thrown).

The weather at the casa was dreary as well, but all was snuggly warm inside. I did watch the Puppy Bowl, but only a few minutes at a time - I have to watch my blood sugar, and that much Cuteness can give me diabetes.

February 06, 2007 1:11 PM  
Blogger C-dell said...

Yes, we all need to relese tension, but we all you do is party and never concern ourselves with the real issues then we have a problem.

February 06, 2007 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I readily admit, that the regular football is way too complicated to my simple mind. I wish, I had a chance of seeing the puppy variety of it. Just in case that even that would go over my head, I could seriously deplete any Southern fried Chicken left over.

February 06, 2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Sounds like a peaceful day POP.

February 06, 2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I gotta tell you, I can fry damned good chicken and my potato salad kicks some butt too.
My soul for a leg and a thigh, and a dollop of that salad! You even do that right....let it chill overnight to get that "good" flavor!

Sometimes politics, war and all things ugly must be given a timeout. Sometimes sanity needs a wee bit of preservation.
Most assuredly!! In this world, sanity should be our #1 goal, I think!

February 06, 2007 7:45 PM  
Blogger Yoga Korunta said...

We all need a sanity preservation day!

February 06, 2007 7:58 PM  
Blogger agreenearth said...

Pleased to hear you are keeping your sanity, kind of hard in a crazy world, best wishes, The Artist

February 06, 2007 11:04 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

test

February 07, 2007 5:55 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

As I was watching Prince and all the fans Singing in the Rain I said to myself, why cant it be this way all the time and have the wars, etc annually!

February 07, 2007 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred the cat said, "Don't forget the hot kitty half time show at the puppy bowl! Smokin!

February 08, 2007 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home